Thursday, July 28, 2005

damn you matt weng!

A little while ago I read Weng's blog. If you haven't been to his yet then you really should. He's a much better write than I am. But that's neither here nor there.

If it's neither here nor there, then where is it? And what the hell does that even mean?

Anyway, his post is about hating philly sports teams. And while I don't like what he says, I shall defend his right to say it! But that's also not the point.

My actual point is that one sentence he said made me remember something from my youth. A painful memory. Let's revisit it now....

I was in the 4th grade at Haines School. For a birthday present, my grandfather took my mother and I on a cruise through the bahamas and down to Venezuela. It was a fun trip...blah blah blah...still not the point.

Seeing as how I was about 10 years old, there wasn't a whole lot I could do on a cruise ship. So they had activities for kids each day. One day, near the end, we put on a play for the ship...about Thanksgiving (God, that sounds so lame now that I am saying out loud). We dressed up like Indians and Pilgrims and food. Yes, some of us dressed up like food.

Now we're getting to the point.

There was one girl...not very bright or outgoing. We dressed her up like a Yam. Her job was simple. she stood in the background of the play. Then, at a strategic moment, she said "I Yam what I yam." Or at least that was the plan.

You see, she got nervous in front of all those people. (I wasn't nervous at all...I was a real ham when I was young). And when her line came up, she stepped forward, and said, "I'm a yam. And that's all."

It was the most embarrassing point of the trip. Our wonderful play was ruined! That stupid little girl. I hope that moment has lived with her to this day, like it has plagued my dreams for a century! Ok, I'm dramatizing....I had forgotten about it altogether until a few minutes ago.

Isn't it funny how we can forget things but, then the smallest spark can bring back memories so vivid that it's like it all happened yesterday?

I'd write more about that but I actually have to get back to work now.

Oh, but before I go.... E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!! So soon...so soon...

2 comments:

Matthew Weng said...

Were you actually a real ham? Cause that would make you a shoo in to be the ham in the play. You wouldn't even need a costume.

Also, was that the same cruise that your mom took off your pants for a scavenger hunt?

sharon said...

-i thought i caught a very slight voltaire reference/quote butchering in there :-)
-the ironic thing about it is that i never realized how loyal, dedicated, and awesomely blue-collar philly fans are until i left, and i miss them...