...an American hero.
Before I begin this post, let me say something. I have nothing against foreigners. Our country is open to you. Come in, have fun, live it up.
Now, that being said...why can't I find an American when I need one????
Let me explain.
We have a new job opening in our company. We're looking for a programmer. Specifically, a Lotus Notes developer. Unfortunately, this isn't something that you learn in college. So we realized that we needed someone older and more experienced. And what did we do? We posted an ad on Monster.com
Now just on another side note, Monster.com is an evil evil place. To place a job posting, it costs $395. Granted, in the long-term view, that's petty cash. But if you don't find someone then you've just thrown that money away.
Anyway, I bought the "job posting" and put up the information. Amazingly, it only took about an hour before I started getting responses! Man, it was great! So I look at the first one. It was some guy from India, who lived in NJ. He seemed qualified. Ok, this could work out alright.
Maybe 30 minutes later, I get the next resume'. He was intimidatingly over-qualified. He was certified in everything related to IBM and co-wrote books on Lotus Notes. Of course, there was a catch....he lives in Venezuela...South America. That could make for a pretty bad daily commute into the office.
Over the next 24 hours, this pattern continued. At least 10 resumes came in. All were qualified. All had unpronounceable names. All had gone to school in Asia (or south America). Half of them didn't live anywhere near here.
I haven't heard from a single American person. I'm not discriminating against these people, mind you. It's just that there are a lot of politics involved in hiring someone. And we'll probably hire one of them in the end anyway....because we will pick the person best suited for the job. It would just be nice if a "joe smith" or "Bob Young" would send me a resume'.
These are the first names of the people who have applied:
Rajan
Krishna
Vasu
Venkat
Gopal
Kaushi
Sarasaleka
Satyajit
Priyanka
Gandra
Taft
How can I call them about an interview if I can't even pronounce their name?
Was this blog wrong? Am I a bad person for writing it?
Friday, July 22, 2005
I need a hero...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
-not at all. sometimes, one of the major prerequisites for employment is that you can actually MAKE IT TO WORK IN THE MORNING. gee, now there's a thought :-) yay capitalism.
Well, I guess it all depends. If they are willing to relocate to America to work here then it should be fine. If they live here its even better. I think you need to look inside and ask yourself, "why does a non-american bother my homosexual racist pig self?"
Do we have a quota of gay jokes? Cause we're WAY over, going back to like, 7th grade.
No, that's not what makes you a bad person.
Burn! Anonymous strikes again! I, King Arthur, declare anonymous the new King of England!
so you're de-throning yourself and crowning anonymous the king? That seems foolish. You don't even know who they are. What if anonymous is George W Bush? Hey, don't scoff at that....if Bush wanted to comment on blogs he certainly couldn't use his real name. And besides, we don't have a king. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer of the week. But all.... oh nevermind...we all know the quote...
Post a Comment