Thursday, December 15, 2005

Your love is like Bad Medicine...

Have you ever been attracted to someone that you couldn't have? Someone who was married... or in a relationship... or lived far away... or maybe who was just really really ridiculously good looking?

Of course you have. We all have.

What I often ask myself is, would we still be attracted to them if they were suddenly available? Or was the attraction based on the knowledge that we could never have them? It's safer that way. I know..."safe" is a strange choice of words. But I'm serious. I can be in love with Jennifer Love Hewitt, and it's safe because I'll never get her. I'll never go through the hardships of having a relationship with her. In fact, I'll never even have a chance to ask her out. So there's no fear of rejection either. Like I said: safe.

But that doesn't stop us from agonizing over this love (I'm talking more generally...and not about my case with Hewitt... I harbor no misconceptions there). It doesn't stop us from sometimes acting on this love. And it certainly doesn't stop us from ruining friendships (assuming you're friends with the person) by professing our love at the absolute worst moment possible.

I'm not saying that I've done this lately....or that I'm planning on doing it in the near future. It's just something that's on my mind.

So let's say you have a friend that is unavailable. They're probably happy with their significant other. What could you possibly think to gain by untactfully pouring out your heart to them? You think they might say "Oh, I've always felt the same way...I'll leave my significant other and be with you!" Well, no...life just doesn't work that way.

What does that leave you?

Here are some options:
1. Accept defeat and move on. Distance yourself from the person, and hope to forget them... or at least lay in waiting for their possible break-up.

2. Continue to torture yourself. Stay friends with them. Pretend everything is fine. Though I have to warn you that this will often lead to blurting out your feelings when they least suspect it. Or it could lead to you going crazy, kidnapping them, and driving off a cliff with the guy/girl in the trunk. Not that I've ever done that, of course.

3. Try to speed up their possible break-up. Plant seeds of doubt in the head. Put yourself in a position to comfort them when they break up. Of course, then you find yourself with a person who's not ready to jump into another relationship right away. So you're screwed either way.

4. I don't know. I just don't know.

If only you could tell them without actually telling them.

These are the thoughts that go through my head. This blog is my therapy. I guess I should be paying all you guys for listening...

5 comments:

Isabelle said...

Oh but I'm crazy, huh? Whatever, you're just as screwed up as me! Welcome to the club. I'm the president. You can be the custodial engineer.

Anonymous said...

but do you like person, or do you just want to sleep them?

Chris Condon said...

The prior Anonymous comment courtesy of Tarzan.

Trip Thomas said...

I'd be lying if I said the post had nothing to do with me and a personal situation... but that's not why I wrote it. The inspiration actually came from a story someone told me about their best friend's younger sister who had a crush on them. I'd just like to make that clear, so all the women I know don't start suspecting I'm going to pour my heart out to them in an inappropriate manner.

Oh, and Isabelle... NO ONE is as screwed up as you... though I haven't talked to April in a while so she may be a contender...

Throckmorton said...

This blog title makes you my official favorite person of the day. It's an honor. Seriously.

And one more piece of advice - if you go the "torture yourself and remain friends route" NEVER drink with the unavailable object of your affection. Bad scene. Trust me.