So I guess I should address something. In my blogs, I often ask questions. Usually, these are questions that have no single answer. Just opinions. So, in a moment, I'm going to say that I've finally answered one of my own questions... but to be honest, it's just another opinion.
I've often thought of Love and relationships in terms of 2 factors. Compatibility, and Luck. Compatible is the easy one. If you have some things that you can connect on (even something as simple as physical attraction) then you could possibly have a successful relationship to some degree.
But then there's the Luck factor. Or, you could also call it the Timing factor. 2 People might be right for each other, BUT there are a hundred different other things that could affect how that person feels at that moment of truth. Maybe they just got out of a relationship, and aren't looking for someone new. Hell, maybe they're married. Who knows...
Which brings me to the question. Can 2 people be right for each other, but come together at the wrong time? And if so, could they try again when the right time arrives?
For me, the answer is yes.
As I've hinted at lately, I'm in a new relationship. But it's with an old girlfriend. But here's the kicker... we're not just back together... we're also in love (we never said it last time).
Now don't go rolling your eyes at me. I know what you're thinking. This isn't "falling back into old habits" or "not being able to walk away from a bad situation". Everything is different.
3 or 4 months ago, I'd say you were insane if you told me we'd get back together. It was a messy break-up and a long period of no communication. Hell, I never even thought that we'd be friends again.
But fate intervened. And I'll explain.
I spent Christmas Day in NJ with my family, but came back to DE that night. As I arrived home, I signed on to AIM and found her there. She was just sitting at home, about to watch a movie alone. So, on a whim, I invited her over to watch it with me. And so we had a nice evening together. I figured it was christmas, and didn't read into the situation very much.
Now fast forward to a week later. By a strange turn of events, I had no plans on New Year's Eve. In fact, I was going to sit at home alone and watch the ball drop (I know... that's depressing). And so, once again, I signed on to AIM and who do I find? Her. She's got a cold and so she didn't go to any parties. Well, I picked her up and got a pizza and we watched the ball drop together.
As the next few weeks went by, we spent more and more time together. And I began to see something. Our dynamic had changed. She wasn't the same woman that I had dated 6 months before... and I wasn't the same man. We were Russian spies, hired to kill the President. Wait, no... I meant that metaphorically. We had both matured and changed during our time apart.
And I had never been more attracted to her.
Well, the first thing I did was run to some friends to talk some sense in me.... but they said it sounded alright.
And then, after making my decision, I wined and dined her... and won back her heart.
You know how you go through a "honeymoon" period in the beginning of a relationship? That time when you don't fight at all and everything is new and wonderful? Well, I never had that before. Not sure why... just never did. But this time I did. I was as giddy as a school boy.
...and I still am.
Will we get married? Be together forever? I don't know... and I'm not thinking that far ahead. Right now, I'm focusing on trust and communication... and hoping the rest will work itself out.
So that's all. I just wanted to share my happy tale.
Don't expect a lot of sappy posts from me. I'll be bitingly sarcastic soon enough (in my posts... not in real life)
Saturday, February 18, 2006
Kick Start My Rock and Roll Heart
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
If you're so in love, then why is your picture still up on match?
Don't wreck shit "observant one". Maybe he just hasn't thought about it since he's busy being all happy.
Oooh! Jealousy anyone? Anyone?? No, you're good...and with good reason.
Wow, I'm so happy. I didn't expect this, but it's glorious, and I'd like to thank all of the wonderful people who know us and helped make our reunion a reality (Matt, you're the bestest), especially my lover boy: thanks for sweeping me off my feet baby...every day:-)
you never were giddy- even as a schoolboy (rolling eyes)....
I'm glad someone made the reference.
"I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne - Let me armies be the rocks, and the trees, and the birds in the sky."
And as for the "Not-so-observant one", I had pre-paid a 6 month membership to Match so my profile will sit there until around May when it will automatically come down.
me = my
Next time I'm on IM at night with no plans, I expect you to pick up a pizza and come over. This girl may dig some Rob, but I just could go for some pizza from Riviera right now.
Post a Comment