This is another one of those posts where I complain about being old....
It was something that happened the other day. I got home from work. I Changed into something more comfortable (smoking jacket and pink bunny slippers). And then, as any red blooded American would do, I went looking for dinner.
Here's a sample conversation between me and my roommate:
Me: Hmm... we could deep fry some broccoli bites. I guess that wouldn't be very good for us.
Roommate: No.. too much fat.
Me: How about Hamburger Helper?
Roommate: Can't... I don't really eat carbs anymore. Want a salad for dinner?
What? Don't see the horrible 5-letter word in that conversation? Let me spell it out for you. S-A-L-A-D. Since when do we eat salad for fun? Since when do we turn down fatty foods? Since when do we watch our carbs?
What happened to the days when I ate everything in site and didn't care what it was? How long has it been since I ate candy for breakfast??
It's one of those changes we go through gradually. It sneaks up on you. Little by little, you compromise until one day you live off of fruits and vegetables! ick!
In High School, I lived off of chips and pizza. In college, Wendy's became a second home. Now, I don't even like Fast food anymore! And you know what I did last week??? I ate a salad for dinner one night!! Just a salad!!! AND I LIKED IT!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!
yeah... I know, readers... I'm scared too....
Today, we compromise food. Tomorrow, it'll be denture cream and adult diapers. God help us all.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Candy for breakfast?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Try moving to California. You'll become a vegetarian almost by default...
Hehe, I know what you mean baby. I used to LOVE fast food and take out. If I eat fast food now, I feel physically unwell. When I make unhealthy food choices, I feel unhealthy. This doesn't upset me, however. I mean, I know I used to like all of that junk for a reason, but I don't anymore. The very thought of McDonalds make me nauseous.
Sure, it sucks that our metabolism slows with age, putting the pressure on us to eat better in addition to staying active because things are going to fatten us up much easier than they used to, but at least I'm not nearly as tempted by all of those fatty foods as I was when I was younger. At least I desire healthier foods. I think it's kind of nice to be able to eat healthily and enjoy it, as opposed to the way I used to have to force in a side salad with my Pat's pizza steak and cheese fries for dinner just to get some vegetables in there...it's refreshing and it makes me feel really good about myself.
Post a Comment