Monday, March 26, 2007

Naming a child

I've often wondered how much your life was affected by the name your parents gave you at birth. I mean, think about it. When you were younger, were you ever teased about anything? Did your name have anything to do with it? Maybe... Maybe not...

But have you ever met a computer programmer named Spike? Or an olympic body builder named Clarence?

You should decide what kind of person you want your son or daughter to be before you pick the name.

I have my father's name... and his father's name. I'm the 3rd. So there is a lot of pressure on me. Do I make my kid the 4th? I haven't decided yet.

A few month's ago, I had finally picked out a boy's name that I really liked. I talked it over with J-Love and she agreed that the name could work. Unfortunately, I discovered that if you shorten the first and middle name then it becomes a horrible combination....

chosen name: William Robert Harford

shortened: Billy-Bob Harford

I was devastated! So it's back to the drawing boards I guess.

For those of you with kids (Really just my condon-esque readers), how did you choose a name?

3 comments:

Chris Smith said...

I've gone through life with the second most common name of 1980 and the most common last name. So, yeah, I might have the most common name in the country, at least for my year of birth. Lace and I have decided that we'll probably name our kids something that isn't QUITE as common. Lacey isn't bad, but already taken. Chris is right out. :)

Dottie said...

That was a sad day... I really like the name William Robert! You forgot to emphasize our decision that "Will" would be short for William and not "Billy.” Nothing against Bills at all, but I don’t want my son to be one of them. I still have high hopes for this one. I mean, we're not moving to the south or anything. If the kid is brought up as a Will, they shouldn't put two and two together and come up with that horrid nickname, right??

Chris Condon said...

Clara is a name I've actually had in my head for years and I have no idea why - although Katie would have you believe it's because it's in Back to the Future III. I swear, we decided on the name and saw BTTFIII later that day and she almost changed her mind. Geez, it's not like I wanted to name her Biff Tannen.

I like William, especially if shortened to Will. As for a middle name for the first Harford boy? How about "Danger."

Yeah. William Danger Harford.

And shaddup, Smith - Chris is an AWESOME name.