Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Semi-charmed Life

Have you ever stepped into a situation where you were the smartest person in the room? I'm not talking about being the best astro-physicist at a convention, mind you. This is more like being accidentally placed in the remedial reading class while you're currently skimming the People's History of the United States for fun in your spare time.

I've had this happen to me a few times in my life. It's happening right now, in fact (hence why I'm blogging about it). But the last time it happened is a much better story...

I started at the University of Delaware as a bright-eyed young go-getter with a head full of dreams and a pocket full of quarters for the washing machines. I started with a major in Psychology and a minor in Computer Science.

In my first semester, I decided to take the math requirement for psychology. I believe the title was "Self-Paced Math". The idea was that you came to class and learned things... and then went to another building to take the tests whenever you wanted. Ok great... I like it already. I promptly walked out of the room and took a nap. Since I had taken Calc in high school I figured I could handle anything they threw at me. Boy, I was more right than I thought.

I went to the first test. I sat down. Got the paper. And this was the first question:

Solve the following equation:
3 + 4 x ((8 / 2 - 1) + 12)

I shit you not. My first test was on Order of Operations. There wasn't even a single variable on the entire thing. I was handed a test that I could have completed in elementary school. It was beyond belief. But what's even worse was that other people in the class actually had to take notes and learn this stuff! One girl lived in my dorm and she came to me for help every now and then. I thought she was hitting on me. You know... pretend not to know something so you can hang out with that person to "study". But no! She really wanted help! And let me tell you something, folks. There are 2 things that I find VERY unattractive in a woman. One, if she's unattractive, obviously. But TWO, if she's an idiot. I can't date a person that can't hold a conversation with me on a normal intellectual level.

wait, I got off track there. Just forget that whole part about me hating uggoes and dumb people.

So it's happening again. I'm going to grad school to become a master of information. It's a business degree, really. So I have to take these "computer courses for business people" classes and it's killing me. When you ask questions like "What is Data?" or "What is a database?" I just die a little bit inside.

so that's my story for today.

2 comments:

KR said...

I'm shy about the commenting on other people's blogs, but yeah, I've definitely experienced that feeling. It's odd. I mean, you should be happy, right? Because you know it's going to be breeze? But, it's really sad. Hang in there... the inane questioning (ie: What is(/are?) data? ) will have to end at some point.

KR said...

errr... be A breeze, even. d'oh.