Monday, January 28, 2008

Resolution Update #1

We're coming to the end of the first month of my resolution. Let's talk about things that I've learned...

Exercise Changes:
I already worked out consistently (3 times a week) but now I've made more of an effort to get 30 minutes of cardio in before lifting.

Food Changes:
This was tough. I've combined a few diet principals/ideas.
1. I eat a low-fat healthy breakfast like plain oatmeal or high-fiber cereal.
2. Mostly Turkey Sandwiches for lunch (I see the subway guy more than my girlfriend)
3. I try to eat a vegetable, and some carbs, and meat for dinner. Like Chicken, Broccoli, and rice.
4. Once or twice a day I have a protein drink (powder plus skim milk).

This sounds pretty boring, I know. But it's healthy.

Here are some things I've learned:
1. Stop snacking. It really makes a huge difference in caloric intake when you aren't eating cookies, crackers, chips each day.

2. If you need to snack then look for snacks that have vegetables in them (weird huh?) OR try mixing up some chocolate pudding but include a scoop of protein powder in it. You'll wind up with a high-protein low-fat snack.

3. You don't have to eat healthy all the time. I take one day each week and "cheat". I'll get a pizza or a cheesesteak. However, here is an important note. On days when you eat badly, make sure that you eat less. Really be aware of how many calories everything has. That's where people get in to trouble. Not only do they eat poorly, but they wind up eating way too many calories in a day.


So, in summary. After one month I've lost a little weight, lost some fat, and gained some muscle. With a better diet and consistent workouts I really feel better each day.

Let's hope I do as well with month #2...

3 comments:

Dottie said...

You have been doing so well baby! I'm really proud of you!

You've always been active, and you have begun trying different fruits and vegetables over the past couple of years, so I think you had a good base to begin with. You've done such a great job of making healthier food choices and cutting out excess snacking. That combined with lifting and cardio has really had an impact on your muscle mass and overall health, as well as your waist line.

Of course, I've always thought you were hot. I'm really glad that you're becoming healthier too. The fact that you feel healthier and happier is what it's all about.

Keep it up!!
XO

Anonymous said...

How often does your girlfriend see the subway guy?

Ilana Grubin said...

You sound like an an ad for weight watchers. Are you sure you didn't just cut and paste straight from their website? Or maybe jenny craig?