You know that old line, "sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses" ?
It's overused, but not often followed. As a society, we're always looking ahead. We're saving money for the future. Planning for retirement. Dreaming about next year's vacation. Thinking about a future spouse and children. Fearing getting old. It's always about the future.
And we spend so much time doing this that we miss a lot of the present.
It's something that I've tried to work on lately. I try not to look ahead more than a week. I spend more time focusing on today (literally). I'm going to get old. I'm going to die. Why waste time thinking about it?
And you know what I found when I started doing this? I found that I was a little happier each day. Really. My outlook on life brightened.
What I'm really blogging about is the possible end of my Quarter Life Crisis. And listed above is my first piece of evidence.
The second piece of evidence is this: Very soon I think I will be ready for a real relationship. I know - shocker right? And it's not that I've been avoiding getting involved with women. I have just been enjoying my freedom for the past year. But all good things must come to an end. So I have officially made myself open for business (I'm not sure if that's the proper metaphor here).
The last piece of evidence came after I learned of my impending unemployment. I stopped spending frivolously and started saving money. I began making budgets, and really sticking to them. I started acting like an adult.
So let's just recap here:
1. I'm no longer afraid of getting old (but some of that is me having high hopes for medical science in the future)
2. I'm ready to be tied down
3. I'm acting like an adult.
I know... it's scary. Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?
Monday, June 01, 2009
The possible end of my 1/4-life crisis
Labels:
growing up,
quarter-life crisis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment