Wednesday, July 08, 2009

My weird interpretations...

Have you ever interpreted a movie/show/song differently than everyone else around you? And then you feel like you're taking crazy pills.

I'm going to give 2 examples.

The first is the latest Taylor Swift song on the radio. It's important that I say "on the radio" so that no one thinks that I have this sitting on my ipod....

Anway, the song is called You Belong with Me. It's a song about a girl who has a guy friend who is dating the cheerleading captain - and the girl thinks that the guy friend should be dating her instead. It's supposed to be one of those cute romantic songs. Here are some lyrics...

But she wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts
She's Cheer Captain and I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along, so why can't you see?
You, you belong with me, you belong with me

So, I don't see a romantic song here. I see a delusional girl who thinks too much of herself. I see a girl who thinks that she knows what's best for other people. I see a girl who never stopped to ask herself if the guy even likes her. All she cares about is that she likes this guy so he must obviously like her back. ...Songs like this lead to crazy murder-suicides.

**WARNING** The next segment involves plot spoilers for Pan's Labrynth. ***

Ok, here's another one. Last year I saw the movie Pan's Labrynth. It's a movie about a little girl during WWII in Germany. Because the world around her is so bleak, she withdraws into her own fantasies. Unfortunately, the fantasies keep telling her to do things that get her in trouble. So the movie does an interesting job of letting the viewer decide if they think she really interacts with these fantasies, or if she's just a crazy stupid girl.

I took the stance that she was a stupid delusional girl. Everything she did made me so mad! And it all builds up to her stealing her baby brother at the end of the movie and running off into the woods with him. If she were allowed to get away with it then the poor baby would have surely died. Thankfully, her "step father" pulls out a gun and shoots her at the last minute. I don't think I've ever cheered when a little girl died before... but I cheered this time.

I guess this is kind of like when there's a movie that everyone loves but you hate it. Like a friend of mine walked out of Garden State. He's the only person I have ever spoken to that didn't love the movie. Seriously. Everyone likes it. But he hated it so much that he walked out of the theater. Go figure, huh?

Ok that's my rant for the day...

2 comments:

KR said...

Case number 1:... yeah it's just a fantasy song. And if we actually took reality or logic into account in our fantasies, they would probably deteriorate. Taylor Swift is lame anyway. I'm not surprised her music is irritating.

Case number 2: I cheered when she died too. My sister looked at me a little horrified, but I actually felt the way you did. She was just a psychotic delusional punk. When she picked up her brother I was just like, Oh this is going to end well..

Ilana Grubin said...

I thought that Garden State was dumb and annoying. I didn't like it at all.