I don't know about anyone else, but I've heard enough about Ashlee Simpson and the SNL debacle. Some are angry because she was lip synching; Some because of her actions on stage; and some even because she spells her name with 2 e's instead of a 'y' (we're gonna ignore this last one).
I know she can "sing" on her own...I've heard it...and it's terrible. I'd prefer the synching. She's not the only one, though. To prove this, I've spent the entire weekend doing extensive research (read: saw an article on CNN that is my only source for this) on what major singers have been guilty of lip synching...
- Now-classic footage from shows like "American Bandstand" featured artists lip-synching. If you go back and look at some of those shows it's obvious, and no one cared. They wanted to dance and see their favorite singers up on stage.
- Michael Jackson mouthed part of his superstar-making moment on the "Motown 25" TV show in 1983. It was a professional decision. There are certain times that you can't afford technical difficulties, or raspy voices, or God knows what else that could go wrong.
- Whitney Houston's spine-chilling rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the 1991 Super Bowl was pre-recorded. They couldn't afford a mess up. What if the microphone had feedback? What if her voice cracked? It was the freakin super bowl!
- Eminem double lays his voice tracks on his albums a lot. So on stage, he raps along with his own voice to project the sound better. That way if he gets tired he can skip a few words and no one will notice.
- And perhaps the only moments when Britney Spears did not lip-synch during her recent tour was when she said hello and goodbye to her audience. People don't care. They go to see a show. They want to see her prance around on stage with big effects and dances. The singing aspect isn't really important.
Of course, you should keep in mind that these people DID sing those pieces...they just did it before-hand. So who cares? Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken, and lip-synching does not make you Milli Vanilli. I say, never be complete. I say, stop being perfect. I say, let's evolve and let the chips fall where they may... sorry, I watched Fight Club again this weekend... man I love that movie. I would normally let this post sit here all morning while I make it funnier but my boss is about to fly in from Kentucky so I need to look busy...
No comments:
Post a Comment