Friday, November 05, 2004

Grandparents...

I'm afraid this one won't be funny. I'm just not in a funny mood right now.

I'm in a pencive mood today, because of where I spent a lot of time last night. The Hospital. But let me tell this tale in a linear fashion...

A few weeks ago, my grandmother died. Back in June, she was in the hospital and they wanted to send her to a Hospice unit to die. Luckily, my mother is a Hospice nurse and both of my older sisters are nurses. So, we brought her home and she lived in our Dining Room. She lasted all summer, which was pretty amazing. The morning she died we all sat in the room with her body, waiting for men to come pick it up. It was the first recently dead body I had ever seen.

Now, I've lost a lot of people in my life. Friends and family members. She was the closest, though. She lived next door my entire life. Now, a few weeks after her death, we still haven't had a memorial service so there's been no closure (she was cremated so there's no rush).

Last week, my grandfather (Robert Thomas Harford Sr.) went into the hospital to get a piece of skin cancer removed. During the operation he had a heart attack. Since then it's gone down hill. I spent last night at the hospital watching him. They're keeping him sedated so he hasn't been awake in days. He has 6 or 8 needles in him plus a respirator because he can't breathe on his own. He may get better and he may not. We don't know yet. But it was hard to watch.

So, as you can see, I'm a little down today. But I wanted to contribute something of worth to my blog.

Therefore, following the footsteps of High Fidelity, I'd like to quickly think of the top 5 movie grandparents in no particular order...

1. Dante's Peak - The grandmother jumps into acid to push a boat to shore. I don't think she was related to anyone in the boat....but she was probably someone's grandmother and she was pretty brave.

2. Princess Bride - The Grandfather reads the story.

3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Grandpa Joe accompanies Charlie to the Chocolate factory. He may be old but he's a kid at heart.

4. It Runs in the Family - Kirk Douglas, Diana Douglas, Michael Douglas, Cameron Douglas. It's most of the Douglas family together in a movie. Pretty heart warming.

5. Jersey Girl - You can't beat George Carlin as a Grandfather.


Feel free to add more if you think of any...I'll be funnier next week.

No comments: