I promise I've been thinking about this post since before Condon wrote his "I'm living in the past, and haven't watched any movies in 2K4" post.
A long time ago (college) in a galaxy far far away (Medford), I had a conversation with Robyn Sharp. I believe I made an amazingly whitty movie reference that she didn't understand, because she had not seen the movie yet. I flipped out. I couldn't take it. My brain cracked. How was it that she had missed so many amazing movies?
Well, some time later, after I regained control of my Hulk-like rage, she told me to make a list. It should contain 5 essential movies that every person should see. 5 shall be the number of movies in the list, and the number of movies in the list shall be 5. The list shall not contain 4 movies unless it is en route to #5. 6 is right out. Anyway, moving along.
This was a lot of pressure. What kind of criteria do you use? Do I pick 5 movies that I love? 5 movies that I think she'll love? 5 movies that accurately represent society and the entertainment industry? How about movies that won best picture? Do I try to include different genres? If I have Star Wars then can I include Star Trek? Does a movie become more likely to get on the list if it had a sequel? (remember baby geniuses 2). I thought about it for months. Seriously. In the end, I believe I gave her this list:
- Fight Club
- The Matrix
- Monty Python: Holy Grail
- Pretty Woman
- The Exorcist
Now, please bear in mind that I knew much less about movies back then. I was trying to get a range of styles. My biggest criteria was movies that get quoted or referenced often.
Now, ever since that day, I've kept this in my head. I worked at 2 video stores for a total of 4 or 5 years. I made many lists for other employess, and had a list or two given to me.
Anyway, what I'm getting at, is I'm compiling a list of movies that peole should see. I'm going to list them in the nav bar on the right hand side of the screen when I get some time. Here's a start. Feel free to add more. Just give the movie, and the reason you think that people should watch it:
The usual Suspects: Aside from being a great movie, it gets referenced a lot in other movies and conversations.
Star Trek: Any of the movies, old or new. These stories have practically spawned religions. You should know what they're about.
Star Wars: Original Trilogy. Same reason as above.
Swimming with Sharks: This is for anyone who hates their boss and wants revenge. You can live vicariously through this movie.
The Matrix: For it's cutting Edge camera work and action.
Run Lola Run, or Nick of Time: Because they run from start to finish in real-time, like the TV show 24.
James Bond: One from each person, Connery, Moore, Lazenby, Dalton, Brosnan. They became the model for suave action heroes.
Shaun of the Dead: For it's wonderful mix of Horror and Comedy
Arlington Road: Proof that terrorists aren't always foreign.
Bull Durham: If only for Kevin Costner's speach about what he believes in.
Now, I'm listing a lot of easy ones to pick out. Think of more obscure movies. Maybe just because you absolutely love a scene or moment. Or maybe because it was someone's greatest performance of their career. It's not for me to judge (except if someone tries to enter Wing Commander). I'm hoping someone will list a movie I haven't seen.
2 comments:
I use a particular movie all the time to judge other people's taste in movies.
The Royal Tennenbaums (or if they haven't seen that, I'll fall back to Rushmore. It's more important that it's a Wes Anderson than the movie itself.) I can usually judge by someone's reaction to this movie what type of other movies they'll like. It's not foolproof, but whenever someone says they don't like a movie that I love, that person usually didn't like TRT either :)
beautiful girls -amazingly great quotes --its like a chick flick for guys (and me), dead poets society-do you need a reason?, the ice storm - just a good dark flick, any mel brooks movie *preferibly young frankenstein,spaceballs, or blazing saddles..*, reservoir dogs - mm good soundtrack too, full metal jacket (really just the first half..not the greatest war movie...but highly quotable), and princess bride *just because its fun fun fun and has andre the giant...and a good boob quote*.american beauty - its one of those life changing movies..until you forget about it. and nothing changes. but its good.love and sex -not enough pple have seen this movie. 2001:space odyssey for cinematic genius and perhaps a clockwork orange just so that when you laugh, you question whether its really okay to laugh (mmm kubrik) ok, i am done now. sorry for the long list. there are so many. -ro (kristens friend) ps..good blog. (very bad things? we all need a feel good kill a hooker movie....)
Post a Comment