Thursday, December 16, 2004

my new job title...

...is "pretty face of the company". I'm getting business cards made up with tiny headshots on them.

Reader: "Why Rob, is there a story behind this new job title?"
Me: "Well, I'm glad you asked %n" (just a little AIM humor)

I'm going to a very important meeting today. Our company is going to demo this program that we want to build for Dupont...and it'll make us a lot of money. What role will I play in this meeting, you ask? Well, my official orders are to sit there and look professional and represent Symbiosys. My boss will be connecting in by phone and internet from the airport (he leaves for Scotland at the end of the meeting) and he will actually do the demo. If his internet connection drops then I'll have to run the slideshow while he just talks. If his cell phone dies then I crap my pants...

...and then excuse myself from the room....because all of those people will be looking to me to continue the demo. I don't even know what it is! Our lead developer is on his honeymoon, so he's no help. And our other developers don't come to meetings...they don't have people skills. My job IS people skills. (so you physically take the orders from the customers and hand it to the programmers?.....well, no...my secretary does that).

So what do I do if I have to run the meeting? I obviously can't talk about the product. My only hope is to distract everyone until Stewart can connect back in to the network from the airport. So I'll talk about things I know....

...What do I know? Ultimate Frisbee. Movies. Drinking. Playing ultimate frisbee while drinking. ... oh man I'm dead. (wanna get away for a while? Try GoPhares).

Ok, so I'm really just blogging to blog...I'm killing time. Keeping my hands busy before the meeting. After my boss leaves, I'll have more free time to come up with the funny.

But today all I can offer is a picture of Chris Condon as a baby:


2 comments:

Chris Condon said...

Oh, I remember that picture. The photographer said, "Hey, babykid, give me your best Rob Harford impression." And so I did.

Regards,
Babykid

Dottie said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!