Many years ago, I watched the x-files. Granted, I didn't see every episode...but I saw a lot of them. My favorites were always the random funny ones that didn't hold to the "huge conspiracy" ongoing plot.
One particular episode is about a genie. She looks like a normal woman, but she grants 3 wishes. I could get into all of the things that happen during the episode, but I bet half of you have already seen it. So here's my point: Mulder gets the genie and thinks that the key to having a wish that doesn't backfire on you is to be altruistic. He decides to wish for world-peace. And what is the result? The genie removes everyone else from the world. He's the only person. She tells him that removing everyone was much simpler than making everyone like eachother. So his second wish is to bring everyone back. Then he spends a lot of time writing up a lawyer's definition of world peace and all of the stipulations involved. Of course, in the end he doesn't do it. His actual last wish is unimportant to this blog.
Well, ever since seeing that episode, I've thought about those 3 wishes. What if a genie showed up one day and told you that he would grant you your heart's desire. What would you wish for? I think if you became all powerful and such, then you'd just get bored. So don't aim too high. Of course, if you wish for a delicious sandwich then you're aiming far too low. The key is to be realistic. What wish would still allow you to function in society, yet make like much easier?
Here is a list of my top 5 wish ideas, in no particular order:
NOTE: Assume Disney rules. Can't wish for more wishes. Can't bring someone back to life. Can't make someone fall in love with you.
5. I wish that I didn't need to eat, sleep, or go to the bathroom anymore. Think about it. How much time do you lose from your life doing these 3 things? What if your body didn't get tired...didn't get hungry...and didn't need to go to the bathroom? Granted, I'd still want the ability to do these things...I could nap if I chose...or eat...but the waste would magically disappear from my body.
Downside: You don't dream anymore. And while this won't make you go crazy or anything (stipulated in the wish), you still miss out on those great dreams. I don't know if you guys remember your dreams but I remember mine...and they're great.
4. I wish for a completely photographic memory with limitless memory capacity, and no chance of going insane from all that information. Since you're already staying up all night while others sleep...why not read? You'd remember everything you read and see with utmost clarity. You could learn a foreign language in a night; the works of Shakespeare in a week; you could be the greatest lawyer in the world in a month or two.
Downside: what if you saw something horrible? Murder? wife cheating on you? Teletubbies marathon? You'll never be able to forget it.
3. I wish for complete physical / mental health which includes a slowing of the aging process. I wouldn't want to live forever...but a few hundred years might be nice. Let's say that it takes me 10 years to age as much as a normal person would age in 1 year. Plus I'll never get sick or crazy.
Downside: What if I'm the only person who lives through world war 3? I'd have to sit around for a few hundred years waiting to die.
2. I wish that I always had exactly as much money as I needed for any given situation. This would either be through a debit card or just cash in my pocket. I could put the car on my card and have enough space in my bank account...or I'd have exact change for the hot dog I want at the food court. I wouldn't have to work because I'd always have money for my bills. I could even donate to charity as much as I wanted....it would never run out.
Downside: the eventual financial collapse of the United States by my hand.
1. I wish for the gift of teleportation. What if you didn't need to drive to work? You could just teleport right to your office. Ever want to see the sun set in Europe? BAM! You're right there. Let's also assume that you would never teleport into an object or person. Maybe just before you appear somewhere you can see the area and choose where to land. You'd never have to worry about locked doors again. Plus, you can take objects or people with you, if you touch them.
Downside: Teleporting in on your parents having sex. (if you used some previous wishes then you'd always remember every detail of it and you'd have hundreds of years to think about it)
Now, there are limitless possibilities for wishes. you could go the Super Hero route. Or maybe be able to jump into stories in books and movies like Gumby could do. These are just some of the ones I think about.
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
Best Wish EVER...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, great wishes, really great ones. I see you put a lot of time into these, and since they're all great, I'd take the following 3:
Teleportation, Money, No Eating/Sleeping/etc.
All 3 of these things do not increase your life expectancy, but they do improve upon your time here. They all essentially give you more time to do what you want, no travel time, no work time, no sleep time. Excellent choices.
Indisputability. When I say something in an appropriately dramatic voice no one will be able to refute. They may have a gut feeling that something doesn't quite fit, but my logic will be beyond reproach. -Justin
Post a Comment