I was going to write a post about how someone said "Tight young girls" in a business meeting I was at this week, but that can wait for another day...
I've had my first taste of real poker...it was like a drug. The beer and whiskey, smokey room, playing for real money...that's the life I want.
Let's back up a little bit. Yesterday was a normal day, like any other. My boss was in town so I couldn't slack off, but I don't have to work that hard so no biggie. It was the end of the day (Mr. Slate was about to pull the birdie's tale for quittin time). All of a sudden my boss turns to me, and he says "Hey Rob, we have an extra seat at our monthly poker game. You want to play?"
And that was when my life changed, folks. I'm not the same. I'm different (kind of like my first kiss from Gill Hicks).
The game was simple. Fifty dollar buy in will keep you busy for most of the night even if you're losing. It was dealer's choice so we played a lot of Omaha, Texas Hold em, Push, and 44 (among some others). We played $1/$2 limit.
Now, I don't want to toot my own horn (As I say this I'm pulling a Tuba out of my back pocket) but I have read a book on how to play poker...so I think I had an edge. I knew when to hold em, and I knew when to fold em.
I'm not saying that reading a book on poker will suddenly make you a great player, but it does teach you to see if other players are there to socialize or to win, and how to read them. It also gives you some great betting strategies since you can't go "all in" in limit poker.
I immediately went down 30 dollars, but over the course of the night I ranged from 30 dollars down to 60 dollars up. I cleared 46 up at the end. A good night. I got lucky, though, because 2 people showed up that were really terrible and were just throwing money away.
Ok, I'm sure I'm terribly boring at this point. I'm just really on a high from last night. Playing for money just makes the game so much better. When you look at a pot and see that there is actually 50 dollars in the middle to be won, you learn to play a lot smarter.
The night was also great because these were all DuPont Big-wigs that I got to shmooze with. Man, I can't wait for next month to do this again. I need to learn some more kinds of poker, though, so I can dazzle them with my knowledge and skills next time. Anyone know some other cool poker games? Tell me about them, please.
And don't worry...next week I'll talk about the tight young girls comment....and why my company says it's ok if I use illegal drugs...
Friday, February 11, 2005
I call him Gamblor!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A man that can play poker is SO sexy!
PLEASE tell me that they actually wear big wigs.
Post a Comment