it isn't very much weight. 175 Grams is probably equivalent to a handful of pencils. That's fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of life, the universe, and everything. So why is it the title of my blog today?
Because that is the standard weight for a UPA approved, Discraft manufactured, tournament-style Ultimate Frisbee (or Disc, since the word Frisbee is owned by whammo).
Lately, I've signed on to some new projects at work and it really keeps me busy. But the past few days have slowed down and I've had time to blog again. So as I sat here at my desk, pondering today's topic, I realized something. I don't think I've ever really talked about Ultimate on this medium. How about we change that...
In case 1 of my 7 readers doesn't know how the game is played, here's a small introduction. Ultimate is played on a field, roughly the size and shape of a football field, with endzones at either end. 2 opposing teams take the field. 7 players on each side. Each player lines up at the front of his team's endzone and play begins when one team throws the disc across the field to the opposing team (like a kick-off). The receiving team wants to work the disc downfield until someone catches it in the endzone for a score. When holding the disc, you can't move; only pivot like in basketball. The opposing team wants to intercept the disc, or knock it down (or wait for your team to drop a pass) so that they can work the disc towards their endzone. Games are played until one team gets to the designated high score (usually 13 or 15 in regular games).
So that's the basic idea. There are tons of rules that are dictated by the Ultimate Players Association (UPA), but we don't need to get into them right now.
This is why I play the game:
1. Ultimate is a self-officiated game. That means, if someone fouls you then you call "Foul". Then play stops and the person you called the foul on decides if he agrees with your call or not. So why doesn't that person always lie and say that he didn't do anything wrong? Because of a fundamental rule of Ultimate. Spirit of the Game. It means be honest and respectful. If I accidentally knock someone over on the field then it is my responsibility to concede if they call a foul. It doesn't mean that I did it on purpose. Accidents will happen. This isn't a game where we see what rules we can break because the referee is looking the other way. That's just not how you play.
2. Friendship. In most tournaments, you have pool play on Saturday which decides the seedings for the final brackets on Sunday. Saturday night, though, you party. All the teams get together to drink and have fun. No matter how hard you fought each other on the field, you becomes friends at the party. You drink together, play beer pong together, and even get naked together (not in a gay way... but there is a lot of nakedness). Plus, there is great respect given to the team that stays at the party the longest (and still wakes up to play the next day).
3. Ultimate is a sport that anyone can play. You don't have to be an olympic athlete with cat-like reflexes to be on a team. If you're over-weight then you learn to throw well and hang back around the frisbee a lot and let the other kids run more. Can't throw well? Then you can catch the disc and toss it back to the fat kid so he can throw it to someone else. You also don't have to be a certain age to play. After college, there is a "club" level and then there is "masters" when you get up in your 30's. Plus I play in leagues with guys that are in their 40's and 50's. It's a game you can play for a lot of your life.
4. I love the game because it's beautiful. Yeah, I know that sounds dumb...but it is. There is something amazing about watching a guy (or girl) run down a 50 yard pass and dive (lay-out) through the air to catch it with one hand in the back of the endzone to win the game.
Anyway, summer league starts on Monday. That's why I'm writing this. I don't think I'll get any real work done today because this is all I can think about. I'll post some pictures in a few days. I have a lot of great shots of people diving for the disc.
Friday, May 20, 2005
175 Grams...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So here's a question I have. When we played in high school people always got mad at me for "cherry picking" which is standing in the end zone and waiting for josh or james to throw the disc to me. Is this illegal is organzied play? Is it poor strategy? Would I make a good vice-president?
It's certainly not illegal, but think of it like football. In any form of defense, whether zone or man-to-man, each person should be covered. So if a wide receiver deicded to go sit in the endzone then his defender is going to go there with him. Now, let's say that the other wide receiver totally fakes out his guy and starts running deep. He thinks that he's wide open for the catch, but then he sees that there's already a defender sitting in the endzone waiting for him. Pass gets knocked down. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. You might make a good vice president, but you'd be a democrat so I'm not sure if I'd vote for you. Then again, I'd say the same thing if you were a republican. You can only win in my book if you run the libertarian party.
Post a Comment