Friday, June 10, 2005

a deep thought for once

NOTE: this is my second post today... so scroll down and read the next one if you haven't visited me in a while

I started college as a Psych major. I really liked it. Learning about motivation and behavior can be a powerful tool in the working world. Anywa, that's neither here nor there. Let's get to my thought.

Which is better, the fantasy of something before it happens? Or the reality of it happening? I realize that you can argue this until the cows come home...but it's been on my mind lately. Here's why.

I bought a new car recently. And the guy who sold it to me didn't know about some of the finer details. So when I read my stereo manual, it spoke of a 6-disc in-dash player...that happens to look exactly like my stereo. So I think to myself, "Hm, I could have a CD changer in my car...that would be so cool!" and of course, your first question is, "Well, Rob, you've had the car for a week now...why haven't you found out?"

The answer, my friends, is that I like the mystery. As long as I don't know the answer, I can continue to think of how cool it would be if my stereo is a CD changer. But, if I try it and I'm wrong, then I'll be let down. OR, maybe I'll try and it WILL be a CD Changer...and then there shall be much rejoicing.

You see, it's a big gamble. Do I risk the possibility of being let down? Or just continue in ignorant contentment?

Let's spin it another way. I'm sure everyone can relate to this. So there's a girl that you like (or boy, whatever your preference). They have some incredible qualities that you look for in a partner. So you start to imagine what it would be like to date them. You think about the things you would do and say....and of course, every date goes perfectly in your head. But then, one day, you realize that if you actually date this person, then it could be a total let down. How could the real person possibly stand up to the imaginary person in your mind? They can't. And so you have to make a decision. In my case, I decided that I would probably get let down...so I never dated them. That does sound a little sad, but I stick with my decision.

So we'll see. Maybe I'll break down in the next few days and try to put a few CDs into the player in my car...I'll let you know what happens.

4 comments:

Matthew Weng said...

A few words:

Jamming some more CDs into your car to see if its a CD changer probably isn't the best idea.

Maybe you're perfect right now. Maybe you don't wanna ruin that. I think that's a super philosophy, that way you can go through your entire life without everh aving to really know anybody.
You're not perfect, sport. And let me save you the suspense. This girl you met, she isn't perfect either. But the question is:whether or not you're perfect for each other. That's the whole deal. That's what intimacy is all about. Now you can know everything in the world, sport, but the only way you'refindin' out that one is by givin' it a shot.

Trip Thomas said...

boy, ya read that wrong...

1. I know the girl wasn't perfect...in fact, that was the point of bringing her up.

2. My blog had very little to do with relationships and certainly nothing about intimacy. It was about a person's preference of a perfect fantasy or an imperfect reality. And it's not even about ignoring reality. Just about small things like CD changers. The girl just happened to be a single example of how this can apply to different life situations...AND to illustrate that sometimes you should pick reality (CD Changer) and sometimes you should pick the fantasy (the girl who probably isn't right for you).

Piranha said...

Hi Rob and Weng!!!

That is all. :)

Matthew Weng said...

No, I'm pretty sure I read it right. I used to quote from Good Will Hunting to illustrate that maybe you should always choose the imperfect reality because, at the very least, its real. Of course, that's just what I do; other things work for other people. Do you think we could have our own quizzo at lou and julie's house?