Not long ago, YAB had an article about meeting Russell Crowe just before he won his Oscar. At the time I was thinking "Wow, he met Russell Crowe!" But then I began to consider the famous people that I've met. And I began to think about famous people in general. I mean, it's not that hard to meet a famous person. Just go to L.A. and walk around for a while. Movie stars are everywhere. Or, go see a broadway show in NY. Then wait around after the show to get an autograph. I've done that. But we'll get to my famous encounters later.
Why do people freak out when they see a famous person? Why do they scream and shout and cry? It has always baffled me. If I was walking down the street and suddenly found Brad Pitt walking next to me, I wouldn't do any of those things. In fact, I probably wouldn't do anything. He doesn't know me...and he doesn't want to talk to me. So why bother him? At most, I'd make a passing comment about his latest movie and how great it was. Now, of course, there are some exceptions. I imagine that there are a few famous people that I would bug, if only to try and shake their hand. Someone like John Cusack, Jeremy Piven, or Sam Raimi. Yeah, I'd want to talk to them for a second.
But let's move on...because I have a purpose here...you just need to sift through the crap to get to it. I've met famous people. At least a few. I went to a book signing for Bruce Campbell and got to talk to him for a minute and get his autograph. Then, a few of us went to see Patrick Stewart in an off-broadway show (The caretaker?) and met him afterwards (he's shorter than I thought). When I was younger I met Austin St. John (The original Red Power Ranger) and Brian Austin Green, both at auto shows.
So here's my point. Famous people are everywhere. And most people have a story about sitting next to someone on an airplane or staying in a hotel with a celebrity. So let's share. What famous people have you met? Anyone interesting? Did you scream and cry? Or did you act cool? Inquiring minds want to know...
Friday, June 24, 2005
Meeting Famous People
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
1. I sat next to a member of Public Enemy on a flight from Milan, Italy to New York. I think it was Chuck D, in fact. We were in Coach, but Flava Flav was in first class. And yes, he wears a huge ass clock around his neck even on planes! Anyway, probably-Chuck-D lectured me on the importance of having love in your life; he talked about his wife and his kid and how they were everything that mattered to him. Then he moved farther up in the plane to talk to their manager. One can only sit next to my crazy cracker ass for so long, I suppose...
2. I met the guy who played Admiral Chegwidden on JAG at a Cal baseball game (his son played third base for Cal; he's in the minors now). I just told him that my Navy family was a huge fan of the show; he was really cool.
3. I met John McCain, shook his hand, and spoke with him for a moment about naval aviation when he visited UMD my senior year. He was so cool, and only a few inches taller than me! Then his mother asked me to walk her to her car, which I gladly did, her leaning heavily on my arm the whole way. She was a really sweet lady.
4. I've met Glen Phillips (of Toad the wet Sprocket) and most of the members of the Counting Crows (they all live in/around Berkeley, except for Adam who moved to NYC last year). I made an ass of myself in front of Glen, almost crying, but I learned my lesson and was super-suave with the CC guys. They even invited me to a show in SF. It was sweet. :)
It was The Caretaker. I think Patrick Stewart is the only really famous person I've ever met-but it was worth it.
Also, there was a story on CNN about how brain cells react to famous people...I'm not sure if it answers your question, but its interesting anywho.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/06/22/celebs.on.the.brain.ap/index.html
Post a Comment