This post is mainly for people who have graduated from college and entered the working world.
Have you ever sat at your desk and wondered how you got there? I mean just sat and pondered why this big company chose to pay you money and give you an office and ask you to work for them?
I've been working at Dupont for almost a year now, but I still often feel like they're playing a big joke on me. One day, the boss will come by my desk and tell me that I've been punk'd and I need to leave the building by noon.
There's so much out there that I don't know about computer science. I can program in a hand full of languages (but not well). I can write databases (small ones). I could even build a computer if I had the parts (with some help from smith and boblitt). But I'm no expert. While other kids in college were training to be hardcore computer nerds, I was out chasing girls and playing Ultimate.
But as I sit here, sipping my RedBull (this is my first one in over a week. I like to detox every now and then), I have to admit that I'm doing ok. When a problem comes up, I solve it. When work is given to me, I do it. No one has complained so far. And they throw some more money at me every few months.
They say that in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king. Well, I guess that in the land of computer illiterate business people, I'm king.
Hail to the King, baby.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Take 2 Redbull and call me in the morning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm starting to think that maybe everyone is like this...I had the impression that when you go out into the workforce you should already know every single thing you need to be successful. I guess we're starting to learn that you don't stop learning after college.
Here's a tip.
People will pay lots of money for someone who will worry about things for them. Pitching up at work is 80% of the battle. (Not just arriving but applying yourself). Speaking as the creepybossguy all your college degree says is that you have applied yourself in the past and could probably do it again.
(also proves you have opposable thumbs and can string a sentance together)
how ironic - he is the boss and can't spell .... sad
Post a Comment