The mind is a strange thing. I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday, but I do remember the most random events in my life. Hence, my blog title.
My home town was very suburban. Lots of rich people. Lots of farms. Lots of stores that closed by 10PM. So what does a high school student do when he, or she, gets bored at 2AM on a friday night? They go to the only place open in town. Medport Diner.
I think everyone has a place like this back home. Medport was a dirty place with bad food, and mean waitresses. But it was open 24 hours a day, so we all hung out there.
The thing that set Medport apart from other diners, though, was this one menu item. This single selection that boggled the mind. I'd continue this parisology for a few more sentences but it's already in my title...
It was 2 Hot Dogs on a single bun!
Now, this was no ordinary bun. It wasn't a wimpy Maier's potato roll. This was a roll that one might use for a cheese steak. A giant roll.
So yeah, it was just a normal tasting hot dog. Nothing special about it. But what really confused me, was that they didn't have "1 hot dog on 1 roll" on the menu. Nor did they have "2 hot dogs on 2 rolls". Nay. Only 2 on 1.
And I ordered this every time I went to Medport.
So anyway, I was talking about memory. Let's get back to that. Recently, I found a great "hole in the wall" food place down here called Deer Head Hot Dogs. It's ok...not really Deer heads....I checked. But one of their menu items is also 2 hot dogs on 1 roll.
The first time I saw this, it brought back a flood of memories from those awkward teenage years (yes, I admit it, I'm not a teenager anymore). High School. Track practice. Prom. Constant emotional uncertainty. Awkwardness. And Hot Dogs.
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
2 Hot Dogs - 1 Bun
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your last paragraph sounds like the closing monlogue to a weird Wonder Years episode.
I would say Doogie Howser.
Post a Comment