Monday, February 13, 2006

Might as well face it; you're addicted to love

I've been planning a post for a few weeks now. It's about my love life, and some interesting recent turns. You'd think that I would want to post about that on valentines day....

...nope...

Instead, I want to say something else.

I hate this day.

Not because I'm single. Not because I'm broke, or unaffectionate. Not because I hate love. Quite the opposite, actually.

A few days ago, I was obsessing over what I would do on this most unholy of days. Then, a friend said something to me that really opened my eyes. She told me that she and her boyfriend do romantic things almost every day... so they mostly ignore "the day that shall not be named" (yeah, I know, I already said it in a previous paragraph...deal with it). She didn't need a special day to tell her boyfriend that she loved him... or to buy him something nice. She does that on regular days.

And so I began to think about it. Right now, every time I see my girlfriend we do something special. We go out to dinner, see a show, etc. I buy her things whenever I want to. So why do I need some stupid fucking commercialized holiday to help me out?

The answer is, I don't.

Now, I could see how this holiday may be good for some. Maybe if you aren't a romantic person... or your love life has begun to go stale... then this day can be just what you need to put a spark back into life! But this day just sucks for the rest of us.

Why the hell do we have holidays for everything??? Mother's day? Father's day? Secretary's day? It's like society is giving us a license to not be nice to eachother 364 days out of the year. But on that one day that is centered around you, we'll be extra nice. Well here's a suggestion... try being nice on the other days, moron!

I say we should fight the system! Don't go to the malls, men! Stay away from flower shops! Buy your woman nice things next week! Or the week after! Don't do it because the Hallmark empire has dictated it! Do it because you want to!

I have a dream, where all days are equal in the eyes of love! I have a dream, where no days are commercialized! I have a dream, where the Eagles cheerleaders dance around me chanting "Rob's the best!" er.....hm... that's a different kind of dream. Just forget I said that last one.

But you get the point. It's too late for me... I've already given in. I work for the man. I love Big Brother. I stumble through the mall like a mindless zombie.

I'm trying to save the rest of you.

Rob Harford - Saving the world, one love life at a time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you.

Anonymous said...

I, as well, love the Rob-man.

Isabelle said...

Well for me, it's more like luke-warm feelings.

Anonymous said...

I'm more of an acquaintance, in that I mean you no specific harm.