And of course, by that, I mean Broad Street in Philly. But more specifically, running on Broad Street. During the Broad Street Run.
Ok, back to normal sentences. If I were at work right now I'd ramble on about a lot of things before I came back to the point of this post. But today, I'm in my bedroom. So I'll be brief.
Every year, I make a New Years resolution. I try to make it simple. One year my goal was to floss at least twice a week.
Well, this year, I decided that I needed to participate in the Broad Street Run.
If any recall, I tried to do this last year. Starting a month before the race, Lou Jester and I went out every day and ran. However, my body quickly learned that it doesn't like to run that much. I was so screwed up from training that I couldn't race.
So, this year, I tried the patented Harford Approach.
I'll let you in on a secret. I do my best work when I don't train. It's true. Ask Matt Weng... he'll tell you all about it (while he shakes his fist and curses). All through High School track, I ran my best times when I was only working out once a week. Whenever I really committed myself, I got hurt.
So anyway, back to this year. I've never run more than 8 consecutive miles in my life. So you can see how this might seem a little intimidating. But here's how I handled it. I've been running about once a week. Just short runs... maybe 3 or 4 miles.
Then 2 weeks ago, I ran 5 miles (one time). Last weekend, I ran 6 miles (one time). Then this past tuesday, I ran 8 miles. Finally, today, I just ran 4 miles to loosen up and get the blood flowing.
Might seem like a bad idea... but it's working great for me. Granted, I haven't run the full distance...but at the end of my 8-mile run, I felt like I could have gone farther.
So I think I'll be ok.
Anyway, if you're around Broad Street on Sunday morning between 8:30 and 10, then look on the road for me. I won't be running fast, but I'll be running.
Wish me luck.
Friday, May 05, 2006
Gotta Love Broads...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good luck this weekend. It should be fun.
Post a Comment