Friday, July 07, 2006

Christmas in July

I've posted about this a million times already, but once more won't hurt.

ok, so that was a lie... I've only made about 175 posts total so this obviously isn't my one millionth post. But moving on...

I love Christmas. Not for the gifts. Not for the Tree. Not even for the Goodwill towards men. I love Christmas for 2 reasons: movies and cookies.

The cookies are self-explanatory. No need to go into detail there.

But the movies...... oh the movies...

It's my goal to own every good Christmas special EVER.

Once a year, I sit down for a weekend movie marathon. We make egg nog. We eat sugar cookies till we feel sick. And we watch nothing but Christmas movies. It's glorious...


Well, I've already got the bug this year. I've started searching for old movies just being released on DVD. Here's a list of the movies and specials I already own:

Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer
Rudolph's Shiny New Year
Frosty the Snowman
Frosty Returns
Frosty's Winter Wonderland
Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July
Charlie Brown Christmas
Garfield Christmas
Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
A Year Without Santa
Jack Frost (old claymation version)
The Little Drummer Boy
Nestor the Long Eared Christmas Donkey
Twas the Night before Christmas
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)
Claymation Christmas
Nightmare before Christmas
The Snowman
Santa Claus: The Movie (1985)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
Ernest Saves Christmas
Scrooged
Love Actually (sort of a Christmas movie)


This year I'm going to buy the He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special, some of the Yogi Bear Christmas Specials, and I forget what else.

Can anyone think of really good Christmas movies that I'm missing?? I must have missed some great classics. And no, I don't have a Christmas Story because it plays on TV for 24 hours each year... so I watch that one all day on Christmas.

oh man, I can't wait!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toy Story

Chris Condon said...

Toy Story? Um...if you count the last 28 seconds?

What about The Ref?

trailmonkey said...

"cross: a thing they nail people to"

think about getting some Jim Henson movies in there - there's one non-affiliated with THE Muppets, I think it's called "The Christmas Toy" - and have a big box o'tissues handy. and of course there's one special where the swedish chef tries to cook big bird :)

Dottie said...

You still need to buy Jim Henson's The Christmas Toy. There's also A Very Brady Christmas and Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas, and IMDB lists a made-for-TV version of A Christmas Carol staring Patrick Stewart that sounds both interesting and terrible. I haven't seen any of those, or White Christmas for that matter. There are also plenty of Christmas cartoon episodes that you could probably download. I have a VHS compilation of old Christmas cartoons from when I was little including Smurfs, Tom and Jerry and Popeye to name a few. They're always fun:)

Matthew Weng said...

I own the version of "A Christmas Carol" with Partick Stewart in it. Its actually very very good. Why would it be terrible?

Dottie said...

I assumed Patrick Stewart would be good, but the made for TV movies usually disappoint me. I'm glad to hear that's not the case with this one and I look forward to checking it out.

I hope that can I count on you to enlighten me further by loaning me your copy when the time comes Mr. Weng;)

Trip Thomas said...

The Patrick Stewart Christmas Carol is really good. He's played the role on stage before so he's very good at it.

I do need the Christmas Toy. And I want to get a Very Merry Muppet Christmas BUT I need to find the old VHS version. When they released on DVD, they cut out huge sections for no reason at all.

Anyone have the old VHS version? Wanna make me a copy?

Isabelle said...

My absolute favorites:
White Christmas
Muppet Family Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
Miracle on 34th Street (the original one)

Dude, when you have your X-mas movie marathon, you better invite me!