I've been playing with computers since I had a Commodore 16 back in the 80s. I think that a computer is just about the most valuable thing you can own. You can do everything on it. Keep in touch with friends, pay your bills, do your shopping, store your movies and photos, etc. People will spend thousands of dollars on computer hardware/software but then they don't do the most important thing of all. They don't take care of their computer. They seem to think that a computer will run like new forever.
Well, just like your car needs routine maintenance, your PC needs help to stay in perfect health. So for the benefit of those ignorant people out there, I'd like to share what utilities I use on my PC. I don't claim that these are the best out there...it's just what I like.
1. PCPitstop.com. This is a website that will scan (for free) your PC and run a slew of tests for security, reliability, and performance. They also give useful suggestions to correct any issues that they come across. From the main page, choose "Full Tests" on the left hand side of the screen.
2. CCleaner (ccleaner.com). This free application is very useful. First, it can identify registry issues and correct them (always make a backup first). Second, it can do a job like Disk Cleanup but more thorough (wipe out temp files and such on your computer). Third, it shows you what programs start up with your computer.
3. Ad-Aware. Most people probably use this already. Download this free app HERE. It identifies and removes ad-ware and spy-ware from your PC. Most are harmless cookies but sometimes you find a malicious program running in the background of your PC. There are a lot of applications like this one, and I suggest you download a few of them because each app catches different threats on your computer.
4. Disk Defragmenter. I am constantly amazed at how few people know that this application already exists on your computer (program list -> accessories -> system tools). What does it do? Well, think of your hard-drive as a big shoe closet with shelves that have vertical dividers so that there are a lot of little "cubbies". When you put shoes in there for the first time you put them in order, starting at the bottom and adding each pair of shoes into the first open space. But let's say you remove a single shoe in the middle and later on buy a new pair of shoes. You'd have to put the first new shoe into the single open space in the middle and the other new shoe into the first open space at the end of the line. Now your pair of shoes are separated and it takes longer to find them when you want to wear them. That's how your hard-drive works. Running disk defragmenter is like re-arranging the shoes so that each pair is together. I realize that the example is completely ridiculous but it gets the point across.
So those are the major things I do. Anyone else want to add some good utility apps? I'm always looking for more.
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Take 2 applications and call me in the morning
Labels:
computer health
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
wait, i need to buy shoes to keep my computer working? this is harder than i thought...
Yet another reason to add to the endless list of why you're the best boyfriend ever: you take care of my computer:)
Incidentally, this also makes the list of why I can't ever get a Mac, and I'm okay with that.
Post a Comment