Here's a legal question for all you "law talking people": If a person takes money from you and doesn't give it back then it's stealing. They get arrested and face some kind of penalty. But if a business over-charges you for a purchase, and keeps making empty promises to refund the money (emphasis on empty), then it's not illegal?
Here's what happened to me last month.
I bought $50 worth of merchandise at Macy's on my debit card. The next day I checked my bank account and saw that there were 2 line items from Macy's. Both were $50. They had charged me twice for my purchase. So after talking to people in the store and in the customer service center, I found out that there had been a computer problem and this duplicate charge issue happened to thousands of people across the country on that day. They said it wasn't a problem and I'd get the money back in 2-3 business days.
Well, 5 business days later I called again. Now they told me that the problem was bigger than they thought and it would take longer. This time I should wait up to 10 business days (even though it would likely be sooner).
Now 10 business days have come and gone, and my money is still missing.
So I want to know why can't I call the police? Isn't this theft? What about court? I should be able to take this to small claims court or something!
I get so sick of situations like this where a big company does whatever the hell it wants and I can't stop them because I'm just one person.
There has to be a way to get revenge (or at least my $50)...
Monday, July 09, 2007
Macy's Day Charade
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Of course you could sue them in small claims court, but it would probably cost you more than $50 bucks to work it all out. Be patient, and I'm sure you'll get your money.
At work, we've gotten a ton of calls about a company who boasts to provide service coverage at the same rate for ten years for one large payment of $500.00. They hooked a bunch of people, charged their credit cards, and they filed some sort of corporate bankruptcy. They have since become unreachable by their clients, and are claiming they will transfer said clients to a new provider, but in the meantime everyone is just waiting to see what happens. Those customers are PISSED. How do these companies get away with this stuff?
Post a Comment