Wednesday, October 31, 2007

self-inflicted fury

Have you ever left a situation angry, and then just sat and thought about what happened over-and-over again in your mind until you make yourself even angrier? The confrontation is over now so any unresolved feelings have no where to go.

How about this one. On some other occasion, you have another confrontation with someone (maybe a store clerk) and it makes you mad.... and when you're thinking about it later on you also start thinking about other situations that have made you mad... and then you get really mad!

Ok let's go a step further. You're talking to a friend and they tell you about a situation that really made them angry... and that makes you think about situations that have made you angry... and you start to get mad for no reason at all.

Alright, last one. Someone mentions something that annoyed them. that makes you think of something similar that annoyed you in the past... but it's not bad enough to make you angry. So in your mind, you start changing the situation around until you've made up a fictional confrontation that really gets you mad.

I'm finding lately that I do these things. I just get mad for really no reason. And then I can't just let it go.

I went to visit my parents on saturday; the same day as their local halloween parade. Because they live so close to Main Street, their road gets blocked off by police also. This has always been a hassle in the past because you'd have to stop and show them some ID before they would let you drive home.

Well, my mom came home from work and mentioned that the road was now blocked and she had a hard time getting them to let her in. She really only said that one sentence.... didn't go on about it or anything. And as I drove home later, it made me think about this one time I didn't have my license on me and had to find some random paper in the car that had my address so they would let me by.

But that situation ended fine. They let me in and I went home. So instead I started to think about what would happen today. I now live in Delaware and have a DE license. So I don't live in NJ... so what would happen if I tried to visit my parents on that night? Would the police just not let me see them? What if I drove past their road-block? would I get arrested?

these thoughts went through my head for at least 30 minutes before I realized what was happening. I was getting all worked up over something that never happened. It was ridiculous!

J-Love told me that she did something along the same lines recently (though not nearly as psychotic). So that made me wonder if other people are as crazy as I am.

Is it just me? Do I have anger issues?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Its not just you...but I'm fairly certain that I have anger issues.

Dottie said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the human race is evolving to have anger issues like these and much worse. It's probably connected to technology and media somehow, but I don't think that I have a problem...yet.

I very rarely actually get mad at anything or anyone, but I don't bottle things up either. I'm a fan of the sarcastic rant- I'm not really angry, I'm just taking things that annoy me and sharing them with the people around me in a dry and funny manner. That's healthy, right?

;-)