Monday, August 25, 2008

Why we have laws - Part 2

Read the previous post first HERE

After talking with a friend last week, I wanted to add a thought. This is only partially related to the whole pro-life / pro-choice argument.

Let's look at this hypothetical situation:

I meet a girl. we go on a few dates. We sleep together. We break up. She finds out that she's pregnant. Now, let's back up to the part where we broke up.

After a month I found out that she had a part-time job and no motivation to do anything better in her life. She was lazy and just wanted someone to take care of her forever. She was basically a gold-digger. And so I left her.

Now she's pregnant. The common belief is that she has all the power when deciding whether or not to have the child. Because this is part of her body and I have "nothing to do with it".

But that really isn't true. Because if she decides to have the child then I will get sued for child-support for the next 18 years.

So let's summarize this: We both made a choice to have sex. Then she gets pregnant and SHE gets the choice to have (or abort) the child. But if she has the baby then I have no choice whether or not to support them financially (or in other ways).

Where's my choice? Why does she get all the power? It doesn't just affect her.

I think that there should be some forms out there where if we break up and she gets pregnant then I can sign a form saying that I am protesting the pregnancy. Then if she wants to have it she can do it herself.

Obviously, this is a much more complicated situation than I am getting in to. AND I'm looking at the specific situation where the woman chooses to have the child simply to screw me and continue her lazy habits. AND I'm not even getting into a "custody battle" discussion.

My point is that I think men deserve a choice in the matter. We're past the age of "It's all the man's fault"... 2 people choose to have sex - so 2 people should choose to keep or abort the child.

So, women readers (I have at least 2 or 3 of you)... any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a woman reader, but referring to my earlier response, the abortion laws as written are emotionally satisfying laws, not social contract laws.

The problem with that type of law is that logic isn't generally a big portion of writing them. Ergo, situations like the one you describe aren't considered because, well, the authors of the laws are considering the emotions of their female constituents, not the actual effects of the laws as written.

Unknown said...

These ideas are a perfect example of why you should be careful who you sleep with... things can get real complicated real quick. I think if two people agree to sleep with each other, they should both be willing to deal with any consquences.

Let me tell you something, there's nothing more binding in the court of law than being a parent. There was a recent case where a guy helped a Lesbian couple get pregnant twice. Now, they signed all kinds of papers saying that the man had no financial or legal obligations to the children. Recently, the lesbian couple went through some tough times, and sued the dude for all he was worth. All the signed and notorized documents in the world couldn't stop the man from having to pay the lesbian couple child support out the wazoo.

My point: Before you sleep with someone, make a small mental note that this person just might be part of your life for a long, long time. If you can live with that, fine.. proceed. If not, say you had a good time and go home.