Ok by now anyone who knows me must know that I have an unhealthy obsession with christmas movies. But what most people don't know if WHY I have this unhealthy obsession. So instead of just listing the new movies I purchased this year (don't worry, I will at the end) I wanted to share a story.
2004 was a good year for me, but a bad year for my family.
In that year, I graduated from college and got my first (and then second) real job. I began adulthood.
My family wasn't so lucky. In July of that year we had the South Jersey floods. My sister's house was basically wiped out. My grandmother's house was badly damaged. My parents house had some problems. Plus cars and property and such. It was pretty tragic.
In October of 2004, my grandmother died.
In November 2004, my grandfather died. He was Robert Thomas Harford Sr. and I'm the 3rd. This was 3 days before my birthday. I didn't even celebrate it that year.
So by the time December rolled around, there wasn't much happiness or "christmas spirit" going around. And then one day I was out shopping and came across a DVD box set of Christmas Classics like Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is Comin to Town, etc. I already collected movies but it never occured to me to buy a christmas movie. So I went online and ordered a few more.
Then something happened which made 2004 a lot better for me.
I spent the weekend with someone special. We spent the whole time wrapping christmas presents, watching christmas movies, and baking christmas cookies. It was the greatest weekend ever. It brought me out of my fog, and made me happy again.
So I guess each year I've tried to recreate that weekend. I buy a bunch of new DVDs and spend every weekend in december trying to follow that tradition. And no matter how good or bad things are for me each year, those weekends make me feel really good.
Well anyway - I don't know if I have any great additions to my collection this year. Just lots of random stuff - plus I lost a few in the divorce and had to replace them. So here are some latest additions:
1. White Christmas
2. Muppet Family Christmas
3. The Christmas Toy
4. Flintstones Christmas Carol
5. Home for the Holidays
6. Mickey's Magical Christmas
7. The Littles - Christmas Special
8. Arthur's Christmas Special
9. Looney Tunes Christmas Special
10. Tom & Jerry - Paws for a Holiday
Wednesday, December 03, 2008
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment