I find myself in another situation where I feel like a lot of people are being crazy, but I don't really know enough about the topic to actually judge. So if you're more knowledgeable then please feel free to educate me in the comments.
A few years ago, Al Gore made that movie An Inconvenient Truth. He told us that the world was heating up and we're all going to die. Or at least I think that's what he said. I actually fell asleep half way through (I was really tired that day).
Now, I've always seen Global Warming as just one piece of the whole environmental movement. We want people to use less energy (it'll save us money), improve air quality (so we get healthier), reduce our dependence on foreign oil (so we can finally bomb the crap out of those countries), and preserve endangered species (to keep the something or other from happening when a species goes extinct).
Well, I've read a big news story a few times this week. Apparently a hacker stole a lot of emails and reports from environmental scientists' computers and published the information on the web. Initial investigations seem to point to a large-scale conspiracy to promote the global warming theory even when there is evidence against it. (see the link below for the article)
So now people are REALLY arguing over whether or not global warming is real. But ya know what? I don't care. Even if the solutions don't fix global warming (if it exists) then aren't they still good for the environment and for us? Don't we want to use renewable energies? Don't we want cars that don't guzzle gas? Don't we want to plant more trees?
My point is, is it really hurting anyone to try and stop global warming?
It's kind of the argument I give to defend religion. The bible teaches you to be a good person (mostly), so even if you don't agree with it then isn't it still ok? (yeah, I gave you the 2-cent version of my argument... we don't need to go into the holes there... this post isn't about that).
Now, I do see one argument for the skeptics of global warming. If we're dumping tons of money into research that doesn't serve any other purpose than to specifically look at just global warming, then that money could be pointed in other directions. But at the same time, we throw money to all sorts of random fruitless researches... so what's one more?
Anyway, my point is that Whether global warming is real or fake, aren't we still doing a good thing for the world by trying to stop it?
Here's the link to the article...
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Global Warming Debate: Why I don't care
Labels:
global warming,
things I don't care about
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Are you sure the information in this article is reliable? This man seems pretty far on the right...and he calls people "libtards" which does really speak well for his objectivity.
Anyway, yeah, we should recycle.
I take that back. It appears legitimate, but not what the author of that article claims. Here's a slightly more evenhanded view. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125883405294859215.html
I think the issue is not, as your previous author wants to state, that the "libtards" are making all this up, but that they tried to stifle dissent.
In any case, still recycle. Oh, and turn out the lights when you leave the room.
What's the worse that could happen?!
http://www.gregcraven.org/en/the-videos/greg-craven-original-youtube-video-hit
Yeah I like that video. It pretty much goes with what I said. I'd rather act now and be wrong, than not act and have everyone die.
Post a Comment