Wednesday, March 03, 2010

I would never survive in the wilderness...

As we become more technically advanced, life gets easier. We flick a switch to make light. We turn a knob to get hot water. We press a button to speak with someone on the other side of the world.

I've heard many people say that the downside of all this is that if we ever lose our technology then we'll be helpless. What if a giant sunburst knocked out all of the power plants in the country? Would you know what to do without electricity? What if you were left on a desert island like Tom Hanks in Castaway? I doubt that I'd make it out alive.

These are the things that run through my head after an interesting moment this morning. I dropped off my car for service (stupid pot holes all over the place) and they gave me a rental car for the day. It was early, and I was late for work, so I just hopped in and drove off.

Well, when I got to work I got out of the car and went to press the button on the key remote to lock the doors. But as I looked down, there was no remote there. Weird. Ok, so I figured I would just have to do it the old fashioned way and press the "lock" button on the inside of the door. But when I opened the door there was no button.

I swear I stood there for at least 5 seconds in panic. How the hell am I going to lock the car?? There's no button!! How do the doors lock??

I had to reach back in to my memories to a time when I had a car with manual locks. Then I slowly walked to each door and pressed down the lock.

No wonder I never made it to the end of Boy Scouts.

No comments: