Friday, September 24, 2010

If you like reading Sci-fi/Fantasy...

I have a friend. Well, I mean, I have lots of friends. Tons. More than you can shake a stick at. Maybe even 2 sticks. Possibly even a small branch. Loads and loads of friends.

...What? No I'm not insecure!

Um, but anyway. This particular friend is Bob Roman. Let me pull a Stephen King and give you a peak at the end of this blog before embarking on my rambling story. You see, Bob is a newly published author. You can buy his e-books off of Amazon.com and I think they are pretty good. So I'm here to shamelessly plug his stuff (that's what she said?). If you want to skip my fascinating story then jump to the links at the bottom.

Ok back to the beginning.

Once upon a time, I worked with Bob doing IT stuff. He was the very definition of a Jack-of-all-Trades, and let me tell you, his knowledge was vast. Bob had this uncanny ability to block out the world and attack a problem until he solved it (or until dinner time - whichever came first).

Side note: If you asked him where he was during the fall of the Berlin Wall he would look at you quizically. But if you ask about the great server crash of November 9, 1989 you'll get a detailed account of his whereabouts. Yeah - he's that focused. (ok maybe I'm making that up)

Some time after Bob left the company I was working at, he decided to become a science teacher. Go back to school for it? Get a new degree? Nah - Bob just knew that stuff already. He simply walked in to a high school and, taking a page from Chuck Norris, Round-house kicked a few of the administrators. And so he became a teacher.

(And Bob said "Let there be light [in childrens' minds]" ...and it was good)

Then Bob said he'd like to be an author. He simply stared at the pages and they got so scared that the words just appeared out of thin air. Before you could say "Republicans are big jerk-faces who eat babies" he had finished a few short stories and at least one full novel. Unfortunately, Bob hadn't considered how hard it is to get a publishing company to sell your story to the world. So did he give up? Crawl into a corner and cry? More Round-house kicks? No. Bob just concentrated real hard, and suddenly a new publisher came into existence. They were called Decadent Publishing - and they loved Bob. And thus he became a published author.

Wow I'm going on and on about random stuff without actually getting to the point today. Let's move on to the books.

Fae Eye for the Golem Guy:

The first short story I read is called Fae Eye for the Golem Guy. It's a romantic action fantasy comedy. There's a man, who is actually a Golem, who's in love with a girl, who is actually a Fairy-type being, but they both think the other person doesn't want to give them the time of day. Throw in some art theives, gold paint, and a "fairy" Godfather and you have a really fun story. Start with this one. For $2.99 you can't beat it.
Link To Amazon Page




Road Mage:

A very short story with motorcycles and wizards. Here is the plot from Amazon.

Jason Rodriguez is a CSI with a checkered past, struggling to live an honest life on the side of the angels. Literally. Jason is more than just a CSI, he's also a Mage. His magical powers are put to the test when he discovers that Paul Dunn, the city's most decorated officer, is actually a psychopathic Death Mage, 'solving' crimes by framing others for the murders he commits. Jason can't let Paul keep getting away with it. Paul can't let Jason keep breathing knowing what he knows.
Link to Amazon



The Strange Fate of Capricious Jones

The Triple Alliance, led by Kaiser Otto II, struck without warning. The combination of Prussian military might, Austrian clockwork, and Ottoman funding cut through the unprepared Entente powers like a chainsaw through Brie; hamstringing Britain, pinning Russia, and very nearly destroying France. The year is 1908, and the Entente is almost defunct. One base in the south of France is all that remains in Entente hands. All that remains to defend freedom are three Engineers. One is an ingenue. One is crippled. One is dead.
Link to Decadent Publishing


Lastly, you can check out his website for interviews and news (and please send him comments about the lack of artwork and color on the site)

http://www.robertcroman.com

Here is his author page at amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Roman/e/B00421EWRK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

And the publisher website (if you want to find more stuff like Bob's) is
http://www.decadentpublishing.com/

Now quit being a slouch and go buy something! At $2.99-ish per story you just can't beat it!

2 comments:

Leanne Dyck said...

I admire Bob's round-house kicks. I wonder if I could learn to deliver them. :)
Thank you for the fun story --I read the entire thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness. This is hilarious! Bob, you have interesting friends. LOL! Love it.

Thanks for the blog time, we appreciate it!

Heather Bennett
Executive Editor
Decadent Publishing