Thursday, April 21, 2005

The power to kill

I had this question I was asking people for a while. If you had the power to choose who lives and who dies, who would you choose to die? On a lighter side, if you could just beat up the person instead of killing them, who would you do that to? As an example, I usually tell people that I'd kill Carrot-Top. I hate him. I really do. And I think the world would be a better place without him. I also hate George Lucas...But not enough to kill him. I'd just want to knock some sense into him.

NOTE: Assume that there will be no consequences for this action. No one will hunt you down. You won't go to jail.

Now, I've had extensive conversations on this. I make people defend their choices. It isn't something that you just choose on a whim. But there was one aspect of the question that I had never addressed. How they would die. You see, I always just assumed you'd put their name on a list and the next day they would be dead. The details were unimportant. But what if you had to do the killing yourself? What if you had to pull the trigger? Flip the switch? Pour the poison? What if you had to watch that person die? Would you still do it? Certainly makes the choice harder.

Today I added another piece to it. What if their family was there? What if you had to do it right in front of them? You had to see their faces. Hear their cries. What then? Is there anyone in this world that you hate enough that you could follow through with that plan?

I couldn't kill Carrot-Top like that. I really hate the guy, but he's never don't anything to me personally. I'd still beat up George Lucas in front of his family though....make no mistake of that.

So ask yourself that question. Is there anyone in the world right now that you could kill, with your own two hands, in front of that person's loved ones? I might still have a person or two...haven't decided yet. What about you?

2 comments:

Chris Condon said...

1. David Arquette
2. The management team that greenlit all of Shaquille O'Neal's movies.

Dottie said...

Um…I don’t know how comfortable I am with the whole killing part, but here are some people I really can’t stand. If terrible things just sorta happened to them, and they were no longer around, I’d be okay with that.

Anthony Anderson
Britney Spears
Anyone involved in American Idol

Wow…that’d be awesome.