I've done something that I vowed to never do. I deleted a post. If you haven't read it, then don't worry....I will broach the subject again later this week. But right now there are more important things to talk about.
Motorcycles.
I was going to wait to write this post until next Monday, but I just can't wait. Because, you see, my friends, in a week I shall be the proud owner of a motorcycle license. And before I explain why I'm posting today, instead of next week, let me go back into history...
My dad owns a motorcycle. He's had one for most of my life. And he's not just one of those guys who owns a motorcycle to ride around on. He's one of those guys that takes his apart all the time so he can customize it. For a few years, he evened owned a motorcycle repair shop. So this was how I spent a lot of my time. Watching him work on bikes. On weekends, we went to motorcycle shows (like flea markets) and sold things. We even belonged to the Christian Motorcycle Association. So that should explain my motives. I've been around these things most of my life....and now I want one.
So anyway, back to the future! Next weekend, I'm taking a course with the State of Delaware. Over the weekend, they will teach me all about safely riding a motorcycle, and then I'll get my license (85% pass on their first time). But, I've never actually ridden a motorcycle on my own before. So will I be behind the curve? Will I make a fool of myself? Something had to be done.
I drove home yesterday (NJ) and got my first lesson. A friend of my father has a 250cc - 5-speed dirt bike that he would let me try. I couldn't wait. The anticipation was killing me! Finally, someone was going to teach me how to ride! So we pulled the bike out. They showed me how to shift and where the brake was (no hand brake...only foot). Then things took a turn for the worse. Just after I sat on the bike, it exploded!!! And I died. I'm writing this post from beyond the grave.
No, ok that didn't happen. After I sat on the bike, they told me to take it for a spin. There was another guy there who I could follow. So, without any instruction, I went. Scary huh?
At first, I let off the clutch, gave it some gas, and shot out of the driveway and clear across the road before I remembered the foot brake. But after that things went much more smoothly. We rode out through fields and dirt trails, and then a few miles on back roads. It was the most incredible feeling I've ever had. Total freedom. Imagine riding a bicycle, but not pedaling, and going 40MPH. Pure exhilaration.
So in 6 days I shall have my license. Then I'll go buy a bike (not sure if it'll be a regular Harley-type bike or a cooler looking Japanese bike. Any thoughts?). Then I'll be free. I'll be just like Lorenzo Llamas in that TV show Renegade.
*Flash to image of rob riding a motorcycle down a desert road*
He was a computer programmer, and good a his job.
But he committed the ultimate sin and testified against other programmers gone bad.
Programmers who tried to kill him, but got the woman he loved instead.
Now, framed for murder, he prowls the badlands of Delaware.
An outlaw hunting outlaws.
A Software Engineer.
A Renegade.
Um, yeah, it'll be something like that. It's a work in progress. So this is what's on my mind right now. Doing my work will be tough this week. Somehow I'll get through it all. I'll let you know how it goes.
Monday, July 11, 2005
Born to be Wild
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
fag
Is it just me or is anonymous getting more and more eloquent?
LOL
Rob knows why I'm laughing--because we both know who anonymous is.
unfortunately, yes...I know exactly who anonymous is this time...
Post a Comment