This is Trian Koutoufaris. Rob Harford's from New Jersey, so he's asked me to blog in his place.(Inside joke....and by inside joke, I mean only I get it :-)
Limited Range. There are just some actors that come to people's minds when they think about limited range. Keanu Reeves. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Kato Kaelin. You get the picture. But I'm here to make the point that any actor has a limited range, even Oscar(tm) winners.
Halle Berry in 'Die Another Day'. Her terrible line delivery (in her defense, the lines weren't that great) as the sexy sidekick to Pierce Brosnan's Bond nearly derailed the film. On the other hand, Salma Hayek playing a similar role opposite Pierce in 'After the Sunset' was able to make her terrible lines work (although the movie ultimately didn't).
Tommy Lee Jones in 'Rules of Engagement'. Tommy Lee Jones plays a broken, unsuccessful and meek military lawyer, does what he's told, etc. And Tommy Lee is so awkward in this role. Luckily, when Samuel L. has more his patented "Yes! They deserved to die and I hope they burn in hay-el" legal problems, this characterization is dropped, and we're back to good ol' take-no-prisoners-always-gets-his-man Tommy Lee Jones, and the movie is great! On the other hand, Brendan Fraser, is able to do meek (Bedazzled - yes, it's a bad movie...) and confident (The Mummy - ok, this blog isn't about how to pick good roles!).
Anyway, can you guys think of any roles where an Oscar(tm) winner has totally botched up the role (*cough*catherinezetajonesinentrapement*cough*)? Or even better, can you think of a movie role where replacing the "low-range" actor with an oscar winner would have produced laughable results. I'll leave you with a few. Hilary Swank is the Terminator! Robin Williams is Above The Law (hmm, actually...). Talk amongst yourselves.
Monday, November 14, 2005
Even Oscar Winners Have a Range
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
halle's berry's worst line EVER: X-MEN (she doesn't deserve the role of Storm!!)..."You know what happens to a Toad when it gets struck by lightning? the same thing that happens to everything else." AUGH!!!! and the accent was off for this scene (on in the next). I can't even watch that part, it needs to be muted.
Ok, so this is kinda off the original topic... but was I the only one that noticed that she had an accent in the first X-Men, but it totally disappeared for X2? And as far as acting range goes, she wasn't even IN Catwoman. CGI!!!!
Post a Comment