Monday, November 07, 2005

Sad Songs

In the past few weeks, a lot of my conversations have been about music. Bands that we like. Songs that we like. Concerts we've been to. You get the idea. But how often do you talk about music you hate? Harmonies that are so dissonant ....lyrics that make no sense.... overall themes that should never be sung about...

Well, that's not really why I'm blogging today. But it's close. You see, recently, a friend made a mix CD for me. It began when I asked her for some Death Cab for Cutie songs, and evolved there after. In the end, she just burned 50 mp3s onto a Data CD so I could copy them to my computer.

So I put these songs on my Ipod and listened to them this past weekend. They were all slow! I swear I wanted to slit my wrists by the end! Now, to be fair, there were some fast songs. Some Guster and Dashboard. But 90% was laid back slow music.

And I'm not complaining about this type of music....it's just that I need a good mix of fast with slow. Like most people, music greatly affects my mood....too many slow songs and I get depressed.

So this got me thinking. What are some of the saddest songs you've ever heard? Some may be really great songs, but very depressing also.

Here are some examples:

1. 3rd Eye Blind - Motorcycle Drive By. This is a great song...but so sad.

2. Tony Rich Project - Nobody knows. Holy Crap...get over yourself...everyone knows already.

3. The Killers - Mr Nice Guy. Didn't expect this one, did ya? I'm constantly surprised at how many people don't really listen to the lyrics of this song. That poor guy.

4. Barenaked Ladies - Tonight is the night I fell asleep at the wheel. It's about a guy dying in a car crash and how the last thing on his mind, before dying, was this girl.

5. Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Hear Me. It's about losing someone and wishing there was more you could have said to them before they died.

Yeah, depressing songs. These are just a select few. Anyone want to add? What are some of the most depressing songs you've ever heard?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin is a pretty sad song. A father never has time for his son, and misses all the halmarks in his kid's life. When the kid grows up, he likewise never has time for his father.

"He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me."

- Trian

Mama said...

Definitely "I didn't mean to hurt you", by Spiritualized. The song is beautiful...but very sad.

I actually blogged about it before back in October when XPN had its top 885 albums of all time countdown. If the words don't get you, the music sure does.

Check it out.

Anonymous said...

"Never is a Promise"
By Fiona Apple

"You'll say you understand; you'll never understand
I'll say I'll never wake up knowing how or why
I don't know what to believe in; you don't know who I am
You'll say I'll need appeasing when I start to cry
But never is a promise and I'll never need a lie"

doesn't get anymore depressing that that.

"3 Libras"
By a Perfect Circle is pretty good, too.

Oh..and the musical I'm in "Last 5 Years" Most of that will make you cry.

Piranha said...

Just about anything by Damien Rice, or a number of Counting Crows songs ("Raining in Baltimore"). I'll have to think about that one a bit more.

Chris Condon said...

Saddest song ever - "Hail to the Redskins"

Isabelle said...

"Last Kiss" by Pearl Jam. Guy gets in a car accident with his girlfriend. Girlfriend dies. The End.

Anonymous said...

Brother what a night it really was! MOTHER WHAT A NIGHT IT REALLY WAS!!!

Anonymous said...

"Brick" by Ben Folds