I've had a pretty crazy week, but I think I owe my readers a real post... not just movie quotes.
So here it is. I'm giving you all a chance to make fun of me. Sometimes, when you do something of which you are embarrassed, you try to hide it and hope no one finds out. But sometimes it's just too public. So, instead, I think I'll talk about it.
I think that most of you can relate to a small problem that arises after you graduate from college. You just don't meet as many new people anymore. You aren't joining new clubs, taking new classes, or moving into new dorms surrounded by your peers. Now, you live in a house or apartment and there's a good chance you hardly know any of your neighbors. You work a 9 to 5 job every day... and work with the same people year after year... and a lot of those people are considerably older than you.
Granted, there are ways to meet people. We aren't totally isolated. We aren't held to the same friends for the rest of our lives. We have options. There are still sports teams, clubs, etc. But all I'm saying is that you meet less people now than you did in college. Let's leave the statement like that. Because we need to move on to my next point...
So what do you do? What happens if you move to a new city and don't know anyone? What happens if you find yourself single after college? What if you're an uncoordinated white guy who can't dance? Then you certainly cannot go to dance clubs to pick up women.
Well? What then?
I guess, by now, you've discovered that I'm talking about myself (except for the uncoordinated part). I've still been dating people since I left good ol' UD. And currently, I've only been single for about a month... that's far from "hermit" status (heh... hermit sounds like kermit... kermit status... that's funny). Um, anyway. So I find myself in a position where I don't meet a lot of new people anymore. And the average age at Dupont is like 45.
So I did something. I went to a place where people my age can connect with others who share the same plight. A place where I can find peers who live in my area and share my same interests. A place where I can... find a date.
I joined Match.com.
There, I said it. Go ahead... snicker... make your jokes. I'm ready.
For those that aren't familiar with the site (this applies to those who live under rocks... or in Utah), it's an online dating service. You fill out a profile. You upload pictures (preferably of yourself). Then you search for other people that seem interesting. All for about $12 per month.
After talking to friends, and researching on the "internet" (bet you're really wondering why I put quotes around that word... but you'll never find out why...), I've discovered that it can be a really good thing. No longer is online dating solely pursued by pariahs of the outside world. It's not filled with socially inept dregs of society who couldn't get a date if they stuffed their pockets with hundred dollar bills.
I found people (read: women) that are my age... who live in my town... who also find themselves in my similar position. They don't meet many new people anymore. Some do seem a little crazy... some seem too good to be true. But most just seem normal.
I'd like to share personal stories about my adventures with this site so far... but I haven't actually done anything yet. I haven't contacted anyone... I've only had the membership for a week. But rest assured, I will share when something happens.
Thursday, December 29, 2005
Adventures in Dating - Chapter 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Technical question - how long do you have to be single before you reach "hermit" status?
Chris Condon has been in kermit status since high school.
It's not easy being tall.
Er, I mean green.
Oh Rob! I hear your plight! I'm pretty much in the same boat (except mine is a sexy yacht and yours is a smelly tugboat). I joined match a while back too but had really shitty luck. There's nothing quite like having ugly losers contact you and having hot guys never contact you back to boost your ego.... hey, at least I can console myself with the knowledge that I have great boobs.
"Hermit" status? Well, I'll tell you how long it is as soon as I find my next girlfriend ;-)
I knew Isabelle was on there, actually. I was looking at women who spoke more than one language and she came up in the list. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
And you didn't wink at me???? I'm sooooo sad :P
yahoo personals is pretty neat
Post a Comment