This morning, I wrote a post about capitalism and smart business practices as defined by major corporations like Microsoft, Best Buy, and Amazon.com. However, after writing it, I realized that not only do I lack expert knowledge in this area, but also that I've never even taken a business class. Suffice to say, the post sucked. I didn't post it. I know, I know... you're all heart broken.
So, let's see if I can write a post that incorporates something that is going on in my life right now.
Learning.
Yes, I said it. Learning. We all do it, hopefully on a daily basis. But what I'm referring to is the kind of learning you do with 10 to 300 other people at a set weekly time in a set weekly place. I think the correct term is a "class". I want to take a class.
I've been looking at the local tech schools, and the School of Arts in Philly. I want to take something this spring, and I need to decide soon.
So what to do? Should I take a class that can help further my career? Maybe something in programming or application development? Or I could begin to learn about business and marketing, to prepare for starting my own company. Or maybe I could just take a class that would be fun, like screen-writing for movies. Or we could take it down a notch and I could even just pursue one of the many musical instruments that are collecting dust in my apartment.
I'm not really asking any of you to make that decision for me.
What I do want to know is, what classes have other people taken after college? And why did you take it? Were you going for your master's degree? Did you change careers? Or do you just like learning for fun? I've always wanted to be a licensed massage therapist. Anyone ever pursue that?
Discuss!
Friday, January 06, 2006
Higher learning
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Well, I don't know if you know this, but I went to law school after undergrad. However, to be honest, I really don't want to be a lawyer. I'll probably end up practicing law for a while, but my real interest is politics, and a law degree is in many ways a prerequisite (I find law really interesting anyway, so it all works out).
I think taking business classes in preparation for having your own sounds like an exciting idea. Who wouldn't want to be their own boss? Plus, there's the chance you could be the next Microsoft. I'll be your lead counsel--as long as you call it SuperHyperCompuGlobaMegaNet. Or, failing that, Flancrest Enterprises. (or maybe InterSlice).
Great... you can be my lead counsel... and your first job will be to defend me against all the lawsuits when I name the company SuperHyperCompuGlobaMegaNet.
I've been interested in business classes but I think it would be really boring to sit through so many courses. I need subjects that are more neatly packaged (like christina toms. Hey-oh!)
WARNING: the preceding was typed while consuming alcohol. Any, and all, unfunny jokes were completely unintentional. No bottles of beer were harmed in the writing of this comment.
I love learning about stuff. But I'm the kind of freak person who would take a class in art history or something. And not because it's going to get me a high-paying job or whatever...but just because art is interesting to me.
Since college, I've taken some classes in fun stuff, not work related stuff. Like the wine tasting class. Or the nude figure drawing class. Or the belly dancing class. Etc, etc.
But no matter which way you go, you need to take something that will enhance the qualiy of your life. That's the most important thing.
So if your class makes you a savvy business person, then great. If it makes you a better programmer, ok! But it's also OK if all you get out of it is knowing the difference between Monet and Manet.
Just make sure you can afford it! :-)
And I always confuse Monet and Manet. Now which one married his mistress?
Post a Comment