Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why stores are obsolete...

A few months back I blogged about shopping online on Black Friday. Each year it becomes less necessary to sit out all night in the cold because I can just hop on my computer and order all the items that I desire.

It's gotten to the point that Before making any major purchases anymore, I google the product first to see how much it costs online compared to driving to the store.

Well, today I went to an AT&T store to look at a new phone. I found the one I wanted and it cost $100. I was in a rush so the plan was to come back tomorrow to get it. But when I checked the cost of this phone on Amazon.com it was considerably less...

...How much less?

Well, the initial cost was one penny, if I sign a new 2 year contract with AT&T.

But here's the icing on the cake. The phone had a $50 rebate through AT&T (which brought it down to $100 in the store). So I only paid a penny for the phone online AND when it gets here I will be able to mail away for a $50 rebate check.

Essentially, AT&T/amazon just paid me $49.99 to buy a new cool phone and stay with them for another 2 years. That's pretty freakin sweet.

I love the internet...

No comments: