Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Marriage: The workout killer

I would like to preface this blog by saying that I am not referring specifically to any person I know. This is a general trend I've noticed over my lifetime. And I wanted to see if other people agreed with me or think I'm a raving lunatic (wouldn't be the first or last time)

Let's create 2 fictional characters: John and Marcy.

John and Marcy are getting married in a month. As they get closer to the wedding day, their physical appearances improve. This is because everyone wants to be in great shape for their wedding and honeymoon. So they really take the dieting and exercising to a higher level.

Then it's all over. John is no longer John. Marcy is no longer Marcy. Now they are John and Marcy. They're married. No more dating. They're out of "The Game". Let's recall some BNL lyrics:

"She's like a baby, I'm like a cat. When we are happy we both get fat."

To put it lightly, I think people tend to let themselves go after marriage. And while part of me understands this phenomenon, another part of me thinks it's stupid. Personally, I exercise for myself. I want to be stronger and healthier. I wouldn't stop that just because I got married.

And I sure as hell won't let my wife stop either. Think about it. You get married to someone - and at least part of you must find them physically attractive. But then that goes out the window after the wedding? I'd be pissed.

Even though I'm a guy - I mean this both ways. I'm sure there are plenty of instances where a guy lets himself go. Women - do you want to marry a guy with a 6-pack and then find that a year later he's a guy with a 6-pack... of beer in his hand? I think not.

Am I just being superficial here?? Am I a pig? Do I place too much emphasis on physical appearance?

I guess only time will tell...

2 comments:

Dottie said...

No, I don't think that you're a total pig. I don't think that anyone WANTS their partner to let themselves go.

[Although it is a common misconception that this most tipically happens to women after having children. I've seen plenty of men in serious relationships let this happen without the excuse of pregnancy.]

I will say, however, that you may be too focused on this kind of thing. You're not even close to being married, yet you felt compelled to write this blog. It's an interesting topic, but most of the married couples I know who are truly in love don't focus on it so much- of course they're both going to change...remember that change over time is inevitable...but, ideally, you will love and be loved unconditionally.

KR said...

About the superficial debate on working out after marriage, my parents have been going to the gym together and lifting for years. It's their quality time, and they make time for it at least a few times a week. My dad has always been of the same opinion as you, I think, about how you want your spouse to look good, and after four kids, my mom was sick of being out of shape. So, that was their solution.

Although there was a time I was the one working out with dad from 14-18, which was probably my favorite thing to do every week. Then I got into personal training, and he got mom back to working out with him.