Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Philly Pretzel Shot

Whenever I mention that I play Ultimate Frisbee, people ask things like, "Is that the thing on the golf course?" or "Isn't that just a bunch of hippie's getting high?"

well, this post isn't about what the game is, or why I love it. I covered all that in this post.

Instead, I want to talk about the people. And I can do that be telling a story from last week.

First let me continue my first thought. During those situations I tend to mention that Ultimate Frisbee is a "way of life". Certain kinds of people gravitate to the sport. People who are a little more free and crazy. People who, in adulthood, think that streaking is still fun at parties (we're going streaking through the quad!). People who get tattoos that say things like "Breed Ultimate" (what kind of loser would do that??)

Ok now back to last week.

We had a game friday night on a big field in philly. After the games, especially on fridays, everyone stays around to party. You break out the grills, tap the kegs, and have a good time.

So in an effort to spice things up, I brought a bottle of vodka which was to be mixed with some juices that other people would bring. Well guess what... they forgot the mixers. Now all we had was a bottle of vodka (aside from all the beer), and just taking regular shots of the stuff was obviously out of the question (duh).

We were trying to think of mixer ideas when one of the guys made a joke, "Hey, why don't you chase the vodka with a shot of mustard." and we all had a good laugh.

...and then I proceeded to take a shot of vodka and chase it with a shot of mustard.

the first thing I said was "Oh gross! ...[pause] ...Oh nice!" and of course other people had to try it because I couldn't be the only brave (read: idiotic) one.

When the bottle got back to me I couldn't just do the same thing again, so I grabbed a female on my team (she-who-shall-not-be-named) and put mustard on her neck. Then I took the shot of vodka and licked the mustard off her neck.

The bottle went around -and came in to my hands again. How could I take it up a notch? Well, I thought of the mustard as being like the lemon at the end of a shot of tequila. And what else do you have with a shot of tequila? SALT. So I grabbed the same girl and had her put mustard on the same spot on her neck. This time, I licked the other side of her neck (sweat - salt) and then took the shot and then the mustard.

no one followed this one except the girl who reciprocated with me.

We then took our new found drink around to all the other teams. And you know what? A lot of people tried it... even with the sweat. As soon as we demonstrated it as a serious shot, everyone was game. Even some people took it a step further by using other body parts (also to remain unnamed... the people AND the body parts).

And thus the Philly Pretzel Shot was born... in all its grossness.... I mean glory

I hope that explains what kind of people play Ultimate Frisbee. (awesome ones)


Disclaimer: the preceding events did not take place exactly as they were told. Actions may have been slightly changed due to the alcoholic haze that the writer was experiencing while going through it all in the moment.

3 comments:

Ilana Grubin said...

Yeah, thats not quite how I remember it, but I was probably in an alcohol induced haze too. Whatever the real sequence of events might be, your story is close enough. And pretty hilarious! It doesn't quite explain why some loser would get a tattoo that says "Breed Ultimate" though...

KR said...

My first thought was "Ew", but I have to admit that it does sound a little interesting... Although not at ALL pretzel-like.

Unknown said...

wow....that's crazy. I really have nothing else to say. wow.