Sunday, November 28, 2010

Homemade Egg Nog

Anyone who reads my blog knows that I freakin love Christmas. I watch a million Christmas movies, make Christmas cookies, and just generally ooze holiday cheer. But there's one thing that I've always felt bad about. I buy Egg Nog from the store instead of making it myself. So this year I fixed that, and I wanted to share it with you all.

Here is how you make Egg Nog.

The following recipe makes about a Half Gallon of Egg Nog (good enough for 2 people to enjoy for an evening). An important thing to remember is that after you make it, you have to leave it in the fridge over night... so prepare accordingly.

Ingredients:
6 large eggs
1 cup of white rum
1 lb of sugar
1 pint milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 pint of bourbon
Pinch of Baking Soda
Nutmeg

Preparation:
1. Beat egg yolks and whites separately, and then pour together.

2. Add the rum, sugar, and a pinch of baking soda and beat all together into a stiff batter.

3. Add the milk, whipping cream and bourbon.

4. Stir and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, stir and add nutmeg. 

NOTES:
- You may want to add a little less alcohol at first. You can always add more later, but if you add too much in the beginning then you have to start adding other ingredients to even it out.


- Use an Electric Mixer so that you will ensure that those eggs REALLY get beaten thoroughly.


- If it's not thick enough for you then mix up some more milk, cream, and sugar and then add it to the Egg Nog.

1 comment:

Robert C Roman said...

Sounds tasty. Got to try this!