Ok - I just wrote a long rambling intro to this blog but then erased it (you're welcome). Instead, let's get right to the point.
I don't know how it is for every career, but in IT you have a broad range of areas in which to work. For years I prided myself as a generalist. I could write code (but not well), manage projects (little ones), handle customer support ("did you try turning it off and on again?"), etc. But there was nothing that I was an expert at.
And now I'm finally seeing this as a problem. As you get older, no one wants a generalist. They want people who are really good at something.
So here's my advice. When you get out of college, go ahead and be a generalist. Learn as much about your field as possible. But only do this for 3 to 5 years. By the time you get to the 5 year mark, you need to choose a focus or two. And make sure that it's something that you really like because you're gonna be doing it for the next 40+ years.
My focus is going to be IT Management and Business Analysis. I want to either become a CIO, or a business consultant.
Now that being said, at this point I'd take just about any job that will pay me more than unemployment rates.
(NOTE: I'm not actually unemployed right now. But it's looming over head)
Friday, April 10, 2009
No one wants a Jack of All Trades
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Rob, looks like you might be wrong! Just found this and remembered your post!
Wanted for hire: generalists, not IT specialists
Post a Comment