Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dating Advice and Self Revelations

They say that there's an age range for dating. What I mean is that for whatever age you are, you should date members of the opposite sex in a certain range. When you're young, the range is easy. It's generally small, and is marked by major life changes. When you're in high school, you don't date someone in middle school. When you're in college, don't date high school kids. When you enter adulthood, stay away from those college kids. Why? Because you're not living "in the same world." (And if you ARE living in the same world then that's a whole different can of worms).

Now, as we get older, the range grows. I've dated women who were 5 years older than me, and 6 years younger (no, the same woman was not both 5 years older and 6 years younger). I don't really worry about an upper limit anymore, but it's probably in the low to mid 30's. But below me, I have 2 limits. The first is that they have to be a college graduate. I can't date someone who is going to sit there whining about their latest midterm and talk about basement keg parties (god I miss those). The 2nd limit is that they have to be older than my little sister (7 years behind me).

Since beginning this online dating adventure over the summer, I've met women all over that range. And I've learned that just because you are out of college, and have an adult job, doesn't mean that you are an adult (or mature).

Normally, I would launch into a story here... but I don't need to today. Let's just get right to the advice.

One of the biggest rules with dating.... ESPECIALLY online dating... is effective communication. At first, this pertains to responding to emails in a timely manner. But later on it pertains to letting people know how you feel about them. If you want to date someone exclusively then tell them. And if you don't want to date someone anymore, then tell them. You should be honest.

I've told women after a few emails that I just didn't think we would work. And I've told women that I can't see them anymore because I cared about someone else. I've even told women, after a few dates, that I just wasn't attracted to them.

I'd love to say that no one has had to say those things to me.. but of course they have. And it hurts when someone rejects you, for whatever reason. But then at least you have a sense of closure. If you go on a few dates (or even just exchange emails for a while) then drop off the map, then you just leave the other person wondering what happened. Did they say something wrong? Were they not interesting enough?

Just be an adult and rip off the band-aid. It hurts more up front, but heals better in the long run. On a side note, this is the reason that I'm still friends with a lot of my ex-girlfriends.

Now, through all of this, I've learned something about myself. I really hate rejection. I've found that it doesn't happen to me very often. Life generally works out. If I try to date someone then I get them. If I really want to get a job then I get it. I'm not saying that I'm that good... just generally lucky. So when someone actually rejects me, I spend a lot of time wondering why they would possibly do such a thing. Then I spend time figuring out how to get them back. And it may take days or weeks before I realize that this line of thought it stupid. I need to spend some time and figure out why this bothers me so much.

Anyway, that's today's advice. Rip off the band-aid.

1 comment:

Khop said...

seriously. how did you know to write this damn post TODAY?!?!?!

ugh.

The post it notes are all propped up and ready to go....